UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2009, 6:33 pm   #1
HMV 1120
Hexode

Default DIY 'manpack'.

Having always wanted, but never been able to afford, my own military valve set for portable HF operating I decided to make my own. The result uses a 12K5 battery valve for 20 meters CW, crystal controlled. The casing is a stripped out SARBE mk.3 distress transciever (VHF). The orange lead is for keying the plate.

Inside the 12K5 is installed upside down, with tank coils and trimming cap to the right and 20MB crystal in the centre. The casing gets warm to touch after 10-15 mins, I have yet to check crystal stability. Everything is mechanically connected and the layout is rigid, inspite of how it looks!

The TX will run from 12-18 vdc (in this case I have connected both filament and plates to the same supply), although operating much above 12 volts will reduce valve life. Output is 1/4-1/2 Watt over this range.

Robs

Edit: will repost photo's once I've worked out how to re-size!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSC_0004-1.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSC_0001-2.jpg
Old 14th Apr 2009, 7:23 am   #2
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Default Re: DIY 'manpack'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, well done with your Tx, looks interesting. Be careful though about the terms of your licence, I think you'll need your intermediate before you can use it.

Cheers
Tim M0AFJ / G8GGP
Old 15th Apr 2009, 6:48 pm   #3
HMV 1120
Hexode

My thanks, yes this is the project for my intermediate licence. for now I can use it my local club (which has better aerials then I do anyway!)
kind regards,

Robs
Old 16th Apr 2009, 9:52 pm   #4
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV 1120 View Post
My thanks, yes this is the project for my intermediate licence. for now I can use it my local club (which has better aerials then I do anyway!)
kind regards,

Robs

Well done chap, look forward to working you soon

Tim
Closed Thread