UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2019, 1:48 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker VP 408

Before they were M3.5, they were 4BA which is not quite close enough to be intermateable though you can usually shove M3.5 screws into an old fitting. T'other way round is a struggle resulting in graunched threads!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Jul 2019, 2:06 pm   #22
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post

Yes, they are cheese head.

Searching eBay, plenty of 6BA: yes. 6BA 2" cheese head: no. Out of the 3-400 results, just 3 listings on the whole site. One for brass, and they appear to be new, but the steel ones are NOS. Of those 2, this appears to be the most promising: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ba-X-2-C...0/323851574172

Electrical fittings use M3.5 over here.
When I commented regarding eBay availability cheese head hadn't been specified. If you're happy to use the domed variety it widens the choice somewhat. The number of results returned also varies according to the search term used. '6BA slotted screws' is a good starting point.

Alan
Old 26th Jul 2019, 4:04 pm   #23
mhennessy
Dekatron

My search term was "6BA screw", which I think is about a wide a net as one can throw. It's the 2" length that's the problem, not the style. I only found 1 other listing for 2" 6BA screws with other head styles (and that was countersunk). YMMV, perhaps - forum rules permit specific links (or item numbers) in this context...

Still, I've provided a link to the exact part needed on top of all the other facts I've already provided, and hopefully will have 18 spare in a few days time, should anyone need a couple. In the meantime, back to lurking.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 7:12 pm   #24
tim.norris
Hexode

Livewire , many thanks for the offer but have purchased the ones from ebay pointed out by mhenessy .
Mhennesy , let me know your address and i will send you some foc , many thanks , Tim
Old 26th Jul 2019, 7:15 pm   #25
tim.norris
Hexode

Mhennesy have just spotted that youve already purchased some ! ah well , we should now be able to supply the whole forum between us if needed !
regards, Tim.
Old 29th Jul 2019, 8:21 pm   #26
mhennessy
Dekatron

My screws arrived today, and I'm delighted to say that they are just the job. They measure exactly 50mm from end to end, so are slightly shorter than the originals, but that's not a problem in practice.

Just a note of caution: if you find screws that are longer, be careful, as they could cause a lump in the plastic sticker that covers the top of the unit!

In case anyone has missed it, here's a scan of my hand-drawn schematic (which I reverse-engineered from one of my units): https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...8&postcount=11

The dressing of the mains lead around the plastic mouldings wasn't quite right in my unit, but luckily the excellent picture in this post shows the arrangement perfectly, which saved me from having to take apart my other one: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...88&postcount=9

Stating the obvious, I know, but best not to over-tighten the screws as the plastic might be getting brittle with age. Certainly, one of mine is rather discoloured.

It's good to have finally found these. I have - needless to say - searched for these on many occasions in the past, but this time, we were lucky to find a couple of sellers selling NOS screws. As they are so very hard to find, I will be willing to send out pairs of these at cost, but knowing how time-poor I am these days, I can't run that as a unlimited "free for all", so must reserve the right to say no if it doesn't look like I'd be able to get to the post office in a reasonable time because of work pressures. Roll on retirement
Old 30th Jul 2019, 7:55 pm   #27
tim.norris
Hexode

My screws arrived today so hopefully will soon have it back together, noticed that the mains lead has a few cuts and bruises so will probably change it out , thanks for everyones input especially Mhennessy and glad that he has been able to sort his out as well . I know what he means with "roll on retirement" ! Thanks again , Tim.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 9:18 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

It's a myth, ask anyone who has retired!
Old 31st Jul 2019, 11:25 am   #29
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac/hl View Post
it's a myth, ask anyone who has retired!

whs ^^^^
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Aug 2019, 9:59 pm   #30
Brettski
Tetrode

I have just finished repairing a VP408 which was missing its screws. I used the type of screw found holding light switches and sockets into the pattress behind. Hope that might help others.

Brettski��
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 10:06 am   #31
crackle
Rest in Peace

I dont think the screws used to fix light switches and power sockets are 6BA.

Mike
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 12:40 pm   #32
mhennessy
Dekatron

As my VP408 happens to still be on the bench, I just experimented with an electrical screw.

Of course, the M3.5 screw was never going to fit the 6BA brass insert, but I wondered how well the screw would fit in the plastic pillar before it reached the insert.

I didn't get far. The M3.5 screw was far too tight a fit in the plastic pillar of the lid, so I didn't force it for fear of breaking the plastic. I estimate the diameter of the hole in the lid to be just under 3.3mm (the shank of a 3.3mm twist drill was a very tight/uncomfortable fit). Popping the lit, the plastic pillar in the other half is the same diameter.

Also, the head of an electrical screw is a larger diameter than the original 6BA screw, so doesn't fit in the recess moulded in the lid.

Conclusion: you can force an M3.5 electrical screw into one of these, but you're basically cutting a thread in the plastic. This carries a serious risk of damage if the plastic is brittle. It also carries the risk of "jacking" when the screw reaches the other half, forcing the lid and the base apart - carefully enlarging the hole of the plastic pillars in the lid to 3.5 or 3.6mm would stop that.

In short, this is no way to treat something bearing the Hacker logo

I also tried a 4BA screw, but this was an even tighter fit, being about 0.1mm larger. Just don't.

My examples are quite early, so it's possible later versions were different - though given the price of tooling, I'd be slightly surprised. But, if someone has reliable data about that, I'd be most interested to hear from them.
Closed Thread