UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2018, 4:29 pm   #1
egerton
Pentode

Default Scale pointer missing - any tips?

I've fixed a Philips 141U with sage advice from you good folk on here. It was quite an easy fix, just as well as I'm new to this. The finishing touch would be to replace the missing scale pointer. The cord is there but there was no pointer attached. Does anyone have any advice on fabricating or obtaining suitable scale pointers? Thanks.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 4:41 pm   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Scale pointer missing - any tips?

See if you can work out how the original fitted. I just made one for a Cossor which (by looking at pics of complete ones) turned out to be a U-shaped runner which ran along the edge of a turned-up chassis plate, with a wire pointer soldered to it. I made the U-shaped bit from scrap brass and bent a pointer from a bit of brazing wire, mostly because it was less hassle that trying to straighten a bit of copper wire from (say) an offcut of twin-and-earth.

You'll probably find you can use snips or a dremel cutter to create a tang on it, which you can slide the string through and crimp it on.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 4:56 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

oops, that'll teach me to talk about a set I'm not familiar with. Some pics here

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/vie...php?f=3&t=2825

might show you how it works. Looks like a L shaped pointer threaded onto the dial cord itself.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 5:16 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

For PHILIPS sets you need 4 yards of steel wire, 5 yards of string, and several bowden cables.
Also plastic pulleys of differing diameters and infinite patience.

Seriously, if the pointer simply hangs from a cord, I solder a cross piece on top of a pointer and just wrap the cord around it on both sides once the cord is finished.

Looking at the service sheet, its just a bent wire, painted red or white to show behind the scale, a bit of felt or heat shrink on the end to stop it rubbing, cord wrapped twice round the top bit.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 7th Jun 2018 at 5:22 pm. Reason: a
Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:18 pm   #5
egerton
Pentode

Thanks all for the replies. I will have a go at making a pointer once I have sourced sourced suitable wire. I'm at a bit of a loss as where to find all the bits and pieces one needs when starting off. On another project - my Ferranti A1016 Bluetooth conversion - I'm looking for the plugs to fit the Gram input sockets. I thought they were banana plugs but they are not. Anybody know the name of this plug type so I can order online?
Thanks
Old 7th Jun 2018, 9:34 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Wander plug. Do a search on here, there was a thread, but they are going the same way as hen's teeth.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 11:01 pm   #7
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by egerton View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I will have a go at making a pointer once I have sourced sourced suitable wire. I'm at a bit of a loss as where to find all the bits and pieces one needs when starting off. On another project - my Ferranti A1016 Bluetooth conversion - I'm looking for the plugs to fit the Gram input sockets. I thought they were banana plugs but they are not. Anybody know the name of this plug type so I can order online?
Thanks
The sockets you have are 1/8" or 3mm.
If you go to eBay and search for... "1pair Nickel Plated Copper 3mm Banana Male Plug"
You find what you need to fit.
Old 8th Jun 2018, 1:54 am   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by egerton View Post
Thanks
Galvanised iron garden wire about 1mm is quite useful. Easily bent into quite complex shapes. The bit on the end can just be a suitable bit of stripped off PVC wire insulation.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread