UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2018, 5:28 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Murphy A46 Multi-Electrolytic.

Evenin' all.
These receivers use a multi electrolytic HT block, three caps in a beige waxed cardboard container - and are all - as you might imagine - well and truly knackered.
I would like to keep the case and re-stuff.
Q. What would people suggest to pot the new caps in the (rather large) cardboard case?
Something which, ideally, would not be impossible to undo without destroying the case in the future, should it be required.

Image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	164165  
Old 6th Jun 2018, 5:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy A46 Multi-Electrolytic.

You don't need to 'pot' the caps in anything.

Assuming you're using axial-leaded electrolytics, I'd make up two small squares of PCB: one for each end of the cardboard box.

One you leave unetched - it's the one you wire the negative-leads of the electrolytics to. The other you etch in an appropriate pattern to take the separate positive-leads.

Then wire the electrolytics between the two, and attach suitable flyleads for the external wiring.

(this is a sort-of modern equivalent of what was known to last-century electronics types as a 'cordwood module').

Fit it inside the cardboard. Job done.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 5:40 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

As G6Tanuki says you don't need to pot it. But if you really want to then Quad used to pot the EHT generator for their electrostatic speakers in beeswax. It could then be melted out for repair.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:27 pm   #4
Nanozeugma
Heptode

My initial thoughts wandered around potting compound and silicon sealant, but I discarded these thoughts on the basis that it would likely be a one way street.
I homed in on the wax idea, just a question of which wax and the mechanics (or is it physics) of getting it molten and pouring it in.
I confess I hadn't considered using pieces of pcb, in any event I don't have etching facilities, but I suspect this is not an insurmountable objection. I would really prefer not to leave a void in the enclosure though - hence the potting idea.
Thanks for your input people.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:05 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

You can always just use plain FR4 or Paxolin for the wiring end. Drill holes as required and simply wire up with tinned copper wire. (Or just the component leads if they're long enough)
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread