UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2005, 6:33 pm   #1
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard RC75A Deck, help required.

Hello all,

I have made some time this weekend to sort out my latest toy, a Pye P75RG radiogram, the radio side is now fine, the overall look is that this beauty has had light use over it's life.

However, the turntable Garrard Mod. RC75A has a problem or 2 so I thought I would ask you clever people incase the problems are "stock" faults.

The most obvious fault is the deck only spins at 78 RPM.The other problem is the arm refuses to move toward the disk, the rest of the mech seems to do the right things when asked to play a record for 10 seconds or so, just before it resets, the mute system allows a "scratch test" on the stylus just before it stops.

I have restrained from "prodding and forcing things" as even from my very limited knowledge of turntables this seems to be a well made deck, and I would prefer to do it correctly, so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Tony.
Old 21st Oct 2005, 9:47 pm   #2
shaun harris
Tetrode

Thumbs up Re: Garrard RC 75A Deck info required

Hi rigsby,

I've had the same problem with my RC75; its more than likely to be the belt under the turntable. This model has 2 small belts one for 78 and the other for 33/45 and I bet the 33/45 one is missing!

If this is the case you will have a devil of a job to replace it, but I found a suitable substitute is a section from the finger of a rubber glove. Sounds daft I know but it works. My RC75 is running perfectly like this.

As for the other little niggles, I don't know what's wrong there so I can't offer any advice I'm afraid.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Oct 2007 at 9:44 pm. Reason: Converted from textspeak to English.
Old 22nd Oct 2005, 9:17 pm   #3
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Garrard RC 75A Deck info required

Thanks for the info Shaun,

That would explain the 2 elastic bands I found inside when I took the back cover off last night.
If all goes well I should have tomorrow to have a closer look.

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 30th Oct 2005, 10:29 pm   #4
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Thanks to Shaun's cunning idea of an alternative use of a rubber glove I have now got this deck running on all speeds,although my wife is finding it hard to wash up with one hand I think the sacrifice is worth it.

The other problem was due to operator error rather than a fault.After having a good look at the mech I could'nt see anything amiss, so after an hour or so I resorted to the last resort! stepping back, washing my hands and having a fag whilst I read the customer instructions, I then found that on this deck the record arm (not the pick up arm) has to "find/hit a record" before it will allow the pick up arm to move, this is a safety feature to protect the stylus.

So it is working well now, thanks to Roffe for your offer of a copy of the operating booklet, but this beauty is so original and complete I have all the paper work, including the operating instructions for the radio and the deck even the guarantee sheet (unsigned) and price tag (if anyone wants a scan PM me).

Thanks,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE P75RG.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1832  
Old 30th Apr 2007, 8:13 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

From this site:-

http://www.grammofoon.com/frameset.h...m&ContentFrame

The RC75 is a 3 speed deck from 1951. .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 3rd Oct 2007 at 9:47 pm. Reason: Keeping on-topic.
Closed Thread