UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2007, 11:09 am   #1
cmsammy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Advice on Bush SRP range.

For nostalgic reasons only I am looking for a Bush SRP31 but since looking I have discovered lots of other SRP's.

Can someone tell me which one to go for. I'd like a stereo cartridge as I've been told that a mono stylus can damage vinyl.

Clive
Old 13th Jun 2007, 11:18 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Advice on Bush SRP range needed

Hi.
Look for the blue model with the blue BSR deck,
these had a sonotone stereo cartridge as standard.
Most of the others had mono cartridges as standard.
Regards

Peter.
Old 13th Jun 2007, 11:57 am   #3
cmsammy
Retired Dormant Member

The SRP31 does seem to demand a high price, what about the SRP41, SRP51 SRP52 etc. etc.

Are these as good / better as far as sound, reliability, repair ?
Old 13th Jun 2007, 2:01 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsammy View Post
The SRP31 does seem to demand a high price, what about the SRP41, SRP51 SRP52 etc. etc.

Are these as good / better as far as sound, reliability, repair ?
the srp 41 was a nice unit, I had one. Better still it has outputs for tape or stereo repro. Still have the manual somewhere! Mine had a sonotone cartridge but you can replace these with similar stereo BSR ones etc whose styli may be cheaper and easier to find.

it was transistorised though, so you'd need the srp31 for valve sound
Old 13th Jun 2007, 2:12 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This site http://www.grammofoon.com/frameset.h...m&ContentFrame gives some info on a few models in the SRP series. It's a Dutch site but if you can't read this language you'll still get the gist of it.

Bear in mind that some of the SRP series were made under the jurisdiction of the Rank Organisation, so they also appear under the Murphy brandname.

Generally speaking they're not bad machines at all; most problems which do occur are the result of years of disuse or clumsy handling at boot sales etc. It's a long time since I've handled an SRP but I think I'm correct in saying some of the later models used the infamous AFxxx series transistors. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

The stereo facility on certain models was achieved by means of 'add on' components; as Peter stated, some had a stereo cartridge fitted....but this doesn't mean the machine, on its own, is stereo.

Personally, and I think others will agree, I think one of these machines are a far better buy than, say, the high-priced Dansette rubbish people seem to rave over . General opinion is that a valved amp is preferable to transistorised, although the latter perform quite ok really.

By the way Clive, I noticed you also started this thread .... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=17924 .... in which you say you were interested in an SRP41. Have you abandoned that particular model now ? if so, perhaps we can get rid of the other thread. Whatever, please try to keep to the one thread on this subject as it makes things easier for the forum moderators and archivists . When and if you acquire a record player, any mechanical/electrical help you need can be dealt with in a new, seperate, thread.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Jun 2007 at 2:43 pm. Reason: Added para on second thread.
Old 13th Jun 2007, 5:12 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
My personal recomendation would be either the SRP31 with either the BSR or Garrard deck, or if you want a transistorised model the SRP51 is a nice model too.

The advantage of the Garrard decks is that most of them have the same mounting arrangements so you could upgrade the deck if you so wished.
I have an SRP51 which is now fitted with a Garrard SP25 Mk3 (possibly shortly to be upgraded again) the original deck in this model being a Garrard 2025 autochanger, OK it's not much of an upgrade but must be some improvement.

I am in total agreement that most of the Bush range (The exception being the RP60 which is nowt but a "glorified" Dansette) would be a much better proposition than any Dansette.

Regards
Andrew
Old 13th Jun 2007, 7:35 pm   #7
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

I think all of these are set up for stereo - hence the S bit in the SRPxx.

The first issue of the SRP31 with the cloth grille material and Garrard deck came with a mono cartridge - but the wiring and soutput socket were all there for this to be "up graded". If you after a Garrard decked version but have not seen it - be sure to enquire about the condition of the turntable mat! They turn to rock and crumble!

The SRP31C and D versions had upgraded amplifiers with more powerful output stages (the push pull ECL83s became ECL86s). Just before that came the shift to metal speaker grilles and the fitting of BSR UA15 decks.

As has been mentioned the BSR decked versions come fitted with the Sonotone 8TA cartridge which gives quite a good account of itself!

All the SRP31 range included a Grundig electrostatic tweeter. These can be problematic and rarely work - but can often be overhauled. They do add to the sound so attend to this if needed and it will pay your time back well. The SenTerCel rectifiers on the amplifier are becoming very troublsome and should be replaced along with the small electrolytic caps in the output stage.

The add on AU31 stereo amplifiers seem to turn up every once in a while on ebay which can make them more fun. Of all the SRPs these surely have the most charm?

The SRP41 is less common but can give a good account of itself. There are two versions of the transistor amplifier used in these. The original used transformer coupling and for whatever reason the early stage pre-amp transistors can become very noisey (at least on the ones I have encountered).

I've never seen the add on stereo amplifier for one of these... I imagine they existed but seem to have vanished!?

These don't quite have the charm of the 31... nor the Garrard deck of the 51!

The SRP51 is a great player. Using the same transistor amp as the latter 41's it can push out the volume! The Garrard 3500 deck (some early ones used the 2025TC as AndiT mentions) and Sonotone 9TA cartridge are as good as you can ask for in a box record player! (probably only beaten by the Hackers) The only downside is that those cartridges can fail and the slim headshell designed for just that pick-up (and the Sonotone 3509?) limit easy replacement with alternative types.

The extension amplifiers seem moderately common for these units too and aside from the odd ding to the speaker grille both the AU51 amp unit and main players seem quite robust - and most seem to have endured the years well.
Old 13th Jun 2007, 7:59 pm   #8
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
The SRP31C and D versions had upgraded amplifiers with more powerful output stages (the push pull ECL83s became ECL86s).
I have encountered an SRP31C with ECL83s, perhaps it was an early model.

Quote:
The SRP41 is less common but can give a good account of itself. There are two versions of the transistor amplifier used in these. The original used transformer coupling and for whatever reason the early stage pre-amp transistors can become very noisey (at least on the ones I have encountered).

I've never seen the add on stereo amplifier for one of these... I imagine they existed but seem to have vanished!?
The SRP41 looks to me like a cross between the 31 (deck wise at least) and the 51 - I too have never seen an add on amplifier for one of these

Quote:
The SRP51 is a great player. Using the same transistor amp as the latter 41's it can push out the volume! The Garrard 3500 deck (some early ones used the 2025TC as AndiT mentions) and Sonotone 9TA cartridge are as good as you can ask for in a box record player! (probably only beaten by the Hackers) The only downside is that those cartridges can fail and the slim headshell designed for just that pick-up (and the Sonotone 3509?) limit easy replacement with alternative types.

The extension amplifiers seem moderately common for these units too and aside from the odd ding to the speaker grille both the AU51 amp unit and main players seem quite robust - and most seem to have endured the years well.
I would have to agree with everything that Stuart says here, one problem that I have encountered on the SRP51 (on both my own model and the one that my brother - in - law owned some years ago) is the switch on the 4 pin "stereo" socket, this can go open circuit, which would then only give the right hand channel information from the player when playing a stereo record.
I have suitably modified mine with a small toggle switch.

Andrew
Old 13th Jun 2007, 8:15 pm   #9
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

I think AndiT is right about the C suffix on the SRP31. I think it was the "D" that represented the uprated amplifier...the "C" signifying the fitting of a tape recorder socket. I think!

I think I've encountered two BSR decks on the SRP41. A black UA15/6 (the blue version fitted to late 31's is lovely to see) and a similar unit but with a "chrome" tubular tone arm that I think is known as the UA15SS3B!
Old 14th Jun 2007, 7:02 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Something that struck me today about the Bush SRP range is that the tape recorder sockets (even the DIN one fitted to the SRP 51 series) are tapped from the high level section of the amplifier.

In the SRP31 I belive a tertiary winding (or maybe a tap) is used on the output transformer and on the SRP51 I think that the tape output is "potted down" from the speaker.

What this means is that if you intend to use them to feed a tape recorder, that the output is affected by the Volume, Treble and Bass control settings.

It may have been Stuart mentioning tape outputs that set my mind going.....

Regards
Andrew
Old 15th Jun 2007, 7:25 pm   #11
cmsammy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone. I had to move fast and got an SRP41 .

Clive
(new SRP41 owner !)

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Jan 2008 at 11:12 pm. Reason: Keeping to the point.
Old 15th Jun 2007, 7:34 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

There's a transistorised Bush stereo add-on in a shop near me at the moment. If anyone's interested, I could find out more. I'm sure this is the one that goes with the SRP41...

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Jan 2008 at 11:14 pm. Reason: To accord with edits/deletions elsewhere in thread.
Old 15th Jun 2007, 9:06 pm   #13
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

It could be Nick!

Despite my comments questioning if an add on for the SRP41 was ever made on the grounds I'd never seen one, digging out the Bush service manual confirms that there was indeed an AU41!
Old 18th Jun 2007, 6:23 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Despite my comments questioning if an add on for the SRP41 was ever made on the grounds I'd never seen one, digging out the Bush service manual confirms that there was indeed an AU41!
Here are pictures of the shop example to prove it! Sorry about the quality, they're mobile phone ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AU41 front.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	10342   Click image for larger version

Name:	AU41 back.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	10343  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Jan 2008 at 11:19 pm. Reason: Details of shop removed.
Closed Thread