UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2007, 12:05 pm   #1
lovejoy
Retired Dormant Member

Default TC8M cartridge conversion.

I own a 1959 dansette recordplayer which has been converted from its original tc8m cartridge to a 4 pin sc 12h. On close inspection only two wires , are bridged between the four terminals. I have many machines that could do with this conversion but when changing cartridge and bridging the 4 terms with the wires it doesnt work. Does anybody know how to do this conversion sucessfully.

Many thanks
Old 5th Jun 2007, 12:50 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: dansette tc8m cartridge conversion

It has been a little while since I last looked at an sc12 but I thought that it had + and - markings on the back by the pins. As far as I can remember you just connect the + pins together and the - pins together and take wires from them.

Cheers

James.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 2:11 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

James is referring to the phasing. If the cartridge concerned is stereo, you must ensure it is connected correctly or you won't get any(or seriously reduced ) output.
This reminds me of a presenter at Bristol hospital radio, who was "on" the night I was engineering. He told us a strange tale of his home record player that would play some records but not others. We eventualy established Mono records would play and Stereo ones not. The problem was ...........one half of the stereo cartridge connected "backwards", or out of phase with the other.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 5:30 pm   #4
PWH
Heptode

I have also connected the + to a - which is a bit like adding two batteries together , you get a higher output and both channels (mono of course) which gives a bit more drive to some amps. The parallel way described above will be preferable if the impedance of the cartridge matches the impedance of the amp.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 7:22 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
If you are lucky enough to have a unit which has a record deck that is pre-wired for stereo, as many of them are (i.e. four wires running from the pick-up head to the tagstrip underneath the deck instead of two) you can put the "mono-ing" link at the tagstrip instead of at the cartridge end, some cartridges don't take too kindly to a lot of heat from a soldering iron.
Additionally if you ever have to replace the cartridge it makes things a little easier

Regards
Andrew
Old 5th Jun 2007, 9:39 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
I have also connected the + to a - which is a bit like adding two batteries together , you get a higher output and both channels (mono of course) which gives a bit more drive to some amps.
One sometimes sees this as a diagonal wire strap between the connecting pins on the rear of the cartridge.
Old 18th Jun 2007, 6:27 pm   #7
PWH
Heptode

This link may be of assistance

http://perso.orange.fr/jlf/erepro2.htm
Closed Thread