UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2007, 9:12 pm   #1
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beocenter 2200 No action from tape

I have just acquired a Beocenter 2200 and it is splendid apart from the fact that the tape does nothing. With no cassette in place completely dead. With a cassette in place on Fast Forward or Rewind it clicks and then buzzes for several seconds and then stops. It acts as if it had come to the end of a tape and the auto stop activated. I can see no sensing finger in the tape path like the simpler machines I am used to but if there was one and it was lodged in the "raised " position I think it might give this sort of effect.
I have a suspicion that a bearing is seized but with all the interlocks B&O use there might be something silly I am overlooking. There may be an entirely different sort of auto stop mechanism, these mechanical things are a mystery to me. I would appreciate any advice before I dismantle things to see if there is anything obvious inside.
It is a great Radiogram so it is not a disaster but it would be nice to have all the functions working.

Help Please
Old 18th Apr 2007, 11:24 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Beocenter 2200 No action from tape

you'll need to open 'er up and check the belts in the first instance, then measure across the motor see if there is current and trace back from there if not.also dirty leaf switches, stuck solenoids...who knows?
Old 19th Apr 2007, 9:02 am   #3
Studio263
Octode

OK, I'll resist the temptation to say that these were junk and the only bit of it that B&O made was the record deck chassis - oh damm! See:

http://www.beocentral.com/products/bc2200

Some of these have a "cassette in" sensor at the back that can get bent away so the control system thinks there's no tape in there, check this first.
When you select a cassette function one of the two solinoids should click and assuming the motor is running and everything is going round something should happen. A favourite disaster is that the capstan belt gets stretched and wraps itself around the motor shaft blocking the motor and (with any luck) blowing the 1.6A fuse in the power supply that protects the +12V and +18V rails. If not it ruins the motor, though they are fairly standard and easy to replace.
If you need the diagram I can e mail it to you, PM me if you need it.
Old 19th Apr 2007, 9:58 am   #4
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Studio,
I suspect the belt may have done the trick of wrapping itself around.
The cassette sensor should be working because with no cassette inserted there is no action at all when the FF or REW is selected. With a cassette in place then there are clicks when either is selected but nothing turns. Play or record does nothing. I don't think the capstan motor ever turns but it is hard to know because taking the cassette out to look stops everything. I must have to look inside.

I am aware of the reservations about this particular range so don't worry about the temptation. A rubbish B&O is still a cut above most so I am happy to listen to it. I have a feeling from my other sets that B&O pushed current technologies to the limit. Occasionally this led to problems with things that went out of favour in the mass market. I am thinking in particular of some of the power output transistors they used. With the era of the 2200 I guess they tried to use a lot of ic logic to make the sets clever but avoid mechanical relays. I will open up the set carefully and if I need detailed help will take up your offer and send a PM.

Regards
Old 20th Apr 2007, 10:23 pm   #5
Trevor
Octode

First thing I do is listen is the motor running when in play mode?
If so I then suspect Belt Rot They all seem to perish after 20 years or so
regards trev
Old 21st Apr 2007, 7:56 am   #6
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I followed them all with what might be called "interesting results". Every diagnosis was right!

When I opened up, which was more straight forward than I anticipated I found the remains of the main belt wrapped round the motor spindle and more or less bonded to it. The rest of the belt was glued round the flywheel. There was no voltage across the motor terminals and when I removed the sub unit found an open circuit at the motor terminals.
This explains why nothing happens on Play.

I am now looking forward to an interesting revival project.

Regards
Closed Thread