UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2018, 6:36 pm   #1
simonbt
Triode

Default 1980s / 1990s Stereo Radio Cassette Players.

OK, not so vintage but it's my latest pickups. I'm working my way through the tougher finds at the moment!

I have a couple of items - a 1980s Sanyo M9927LG and a Sony CD radio Cassette / CD player. Both of these are only playing sound through one speaker, co-incidentally, both through the right. I have checked the speakers, no dry joints so what would I be looking at now?

On the Sanyo - I have got as far as changing one belt but the main one...I have loosened the mechanism but can't get the piano keys from through the case!

I'm just starting off repairing and refurbishing items so forgive me for probably simple questions. I've done some easy ones so far (1950s and 1960s radios)

thanks
Old 19th Feb 2018, 7:49 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: 1980s / 1990s Stereo Radio Cassettes

If they have headphone sockets - they usually do - try plugging a pair of phones in and see if you get sound on both channels. Always a good instant check to see if the problem is a speaker or something else.

Sometimes the headphone socket itself can be the problem if it is PCB mounted and mostly or only held in place by solder. Constant insertion / extraction of a headphone plug eventually cracks the solder joints.

Do you have one channel missing across all modes? Radio -and- tape? Or only on tape?

If it's only tape, try operating the record switch up and down a few dozen times - does that change the way the fault sounds, or even cure it?
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:10 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

In case it is not obvious, the record switch will not operate without a cassette loaded and the record-prevent tab intact. Make sure that the tape is wound to the clear leader at the end because when you press "record", the erase magnet will come into contact with the tape and create a blank spot -- this is usually a permanent magnet on these machines, and will work even if the recorder is not powered.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 11:42 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Here is what in my experience are the most likely causes of loss of a channel on such units in order of probability:
1. Dirty rad-cass select switch.
2. cracked solder on headphone jack
3. cracked solder on rad-cass select switch.
4. Defective speaker - seen this increasingly with the post-1990s cd-cassette boomboxes
5. Defective amp IC.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 12:50 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
In case it is not obvious, the record switch will not operate without a cassette loaded and the record-prevent tab intact.
I have to admit I always just leave the door open and hook a fingertip under the record-protect 'detector' to achieve the same end while I use some combination of my free fingers to exercise the record switch.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 1:11 am   #6
simonbt
Triode

Thanks for the replies all.

I'm on leave this week so I'll have a go at the solutions you have offered!
Old 21st Feb 2018, 12:39 am   #7
simonbt
Triode

Hi

Just an update.

Tried the headphones - still no joy so I dismantled the balance and cleaned it, still no joy. Did the same for the volume which had 4 tracks presumably L/R and it's mostly fixed it. Cleaned it up and replaced the other belt. All working fine now and even records from the radio as it should.

I do however seem to have 'lost' Radio 2. I have checked the tuning and everything seems fine i.e Classic FM / Radio 1 / Smooth seem to be on the correct mark - why would Radio 2 be nowhere to be heard?
Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:10 am   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I was just about to suggest dirty volume pots! I got a Sanyo CD boom box free from work once, sound was all over the place and cleaning the volume pot cured it.

For the loss of radio 2, have you anything that might cause interference? I’ve got some LED lights in my workshop that completely blot our radio 2!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 21st Feb 2018, 1:44 pm   #9
simonbt
Triode

No Lloyd - I am bunkered down in the cellar for my repairs but all my other radios just about tune it in. I even tried it upstairs and nothing. I get a good quality stereo signal on everything else. Bizarre.

Not to worry - considering it's the first one I have done which involved some work (soldering, belts changed, pot cleaning) i.e. not just cleaning it! I'm well chuffed.

Last edited by simonbt; 21st Feb 2018 at 1:49 pm.
Closed Thread