UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:03 pm   #1
bobskie
Hexode

Default Cathedral Style Radio UK

Hello all, I have always had a fascination with cathedral style radios. I know they were very popular during the 1930's in the US but I was wondering if there were many released in the UK. Just looking for models to keep an eye out for, I realise they are probably pricey but I'm curious as to whether they even made it here at all. If anyone has one to sell feel free to send me a PM though I don't have much to spend at the moment
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:15 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Cathedral Style Radio UK

The only completely typical British cathedral style set that springs to mind is the first Bush model, the AC3. I think the cabinets were imported from Echophone of the USA:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=80261

I'm not sure whether some Philco cathedral models would have been sold, and perhaps partly built, here, but if so they're scarce on this side of the pond, and the Bush is a rare bird too.

Paul
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:22 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There were certainly some Philco 'Cathedral' radios sold in the UK in the 1930s: as a kid I acquired one [forget the model] - it was a US import, with US-numbered valves, no long-wave, and US cities listed on the 'Broadcast' [medium-wave] section of the dial.

Apart from a couple of the usual short-wave bands [5 to 18MHz or so] what it *did* have that made it special was a waveband marked "Police" - which covered the 160-metre amateur-band and down to about 3MHz.

The 'cathedral'case was a bit wormy so it got burned. I was never that interested in what a radio looked like, instead focussing on what it could do.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:24 pm   #4
bobskie
Hexode

I do recall seeing the AC-3 before, it's a brilliant looking radio one of the nicest cathedrals I have seen. It's a real shame they are so rare. Interesting to hear of these Philcos, especially the police band! It's a shame you burned it. It gives me a bit more hope of finding one some day though.

Cameron
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:53 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Cathedral sets were definitely more of an American thing, but some of the 30s Philips sets had broadly similar styling.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:10 pm   #6
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Lissen produced one.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lissen_8033.html
Yours, Richard
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:15 pm   #7
electrogram
Heptode

Ekco m23/rs2 in bakelite case, these seem to have been made In relatively large numbers. Also marconi 42, though neither of these are as 'cathedrally' as someone American sets
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:22 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The Ultra Tiger III is another set with leanings in the cathedral direction -

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ultra_...ee_midget.html -

sandwiched in their 1931 range between the plainly rectangular Blue Fox and the larger, but not very cathedralesque, Panther. The Radiomuseum photos are from an angle which makes the Tiger look rather more square than it actually is.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:42 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

I wonder, does this class as a cathedral style cabinet.
http://www.kbmuseum.org.uk/kb_images/kb279/kb279.htm

Mike
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:43 pm   #10
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
There were certainly some Philco 'Cathedral' radios sold in the UK in the 1930s: as a kid I acquired one [forget the model] - it was a US import, with US-numbered valves, no long-wave, and US cities listed on the 'Broadcast' [medium-wave] section of the dial.

Apart from a couple of the usual short-wave bands [5 to 18MHz or so] what it *did* have that made it special was a waveband marked "Police" - which covered the 160-metre amateur-band and down to about 3MHz.
I have a Philco with this oddball band on. The voltage and everything else says it is a European set but the dial has police at 160 metres.

One day I will find a new gearing for the tuner to get it back fully working.

I've spoke to a couple of Americans about the set and they call them 'tombstone' sets rather than cathedrals.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 12:07 am   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

As I understand it, tombstone cabinets have a flat top, but rounded corners.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 2:48 am   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Jerry Wells' Pied Piper radios?
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:49 am   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
[I have a Philco with this oddball band on. The voltage and everything else says it is a European set but the dial has police at 160 metres..
There's an interesting chronology of US police radios here: http://rfpd.tripod.com/id18.html

The "Police" band - between about 1.5 and 2.5MHz - was first used in the very-late-1920s. It was one-way: if a police-car wanted to communicate back to the police-station after being called on the radio they had to stop and use a phone!
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:40 pm   #14
bobskie
Hexode

There seem to be quite a few made here, nowhere near as many as in the US but some very nice examples. I particularly like the Marconi 42. I will need to keep my eye out for one.
Closed Thread