UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:24 am   #21
M6SPW1974
Pentode

Default Re: Mk128 Radio Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6SPW1974 View Post
He said a lot were issued to UK Embassies oversea's & would of been hidden in a specific place in case of an emergency,buried in the ground,etc,etc.
Wasn't that the MK 123?
Hi Graham,Nope the MK128 from what my friend said,but both could of been used for the same purpose somewhere down the line,being ex armed forces myself i have seen a lot of radio equipment assigned to different government departments / places you would not expect,so i guess anything goes.

My main point is the MK128 is not a spy set as some like to make out on ebay to try to pump up their final sale price.

Last edited by M6SPW1974; 23rd Dec 2017 at 1:33 am.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 12:30 pm   #22
Peter.G0DRT
Pentode

I must admit to having been close to blowing the budget on a few items in the past David ,but they are at least still in use. You are right about Ebay, it could well take off if I put it on there. With regard to the morse key and headset Roger ,I think like most parts associated with military gear, they seem to go for silly prices. I'm not sure which key is used with your version, mine is the Lorenz style key.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Peter.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 12:50 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

I suppose the value depends somewhat on whether it's in working order. If so, then you can avoid the traditional 'I don't have the equipment to test it' which most punters must have formed their own translation of by now....

David
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:02 pm   #24
Station X

I wouldn't want to buy a working radio. The repair and restoration is the fun bit as far as I'm concerned.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:04 pm   #25
Radio Wrangler

I was thinking that it would demonstrate that it was at least complete and wasn't just a collection of possibly mismatched parts.

You can still do a decent refurb, but the thrill of the chase of an unknown fault will be missing.

Besides, if the goal is the greatest price, then we're not the target market.

David
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:50 pm   #26
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

The power output is much lower than other embassy sets. Look at the MK119 & MK123 which have at least 15 watts. I would think that some power would be needed to contact a control station and 1 watt wouldn't make it. I think it was more of a patrol set like the PRC316.

When the embassy in Tehran was over run in 1978 they were unable to contact London using the MK123 but were able to reach Australia.

I've noticed mine along with others are marked 33CW which is the MOD central workshop in Newark.

I guess the only way to confirm it's intended use would be to find the original proposal & tender.
Old 24th Dec 2017, 6:19 pm   #27
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.G0DRT View Post
I must admit to having been close to blowing the budget on a few items in the past David ,but they are at least still in use. You are right about Ebay, it could well take off if I put it on there. With regard to the morse key and headset Roger ,I think like most parts associated with military gear, they seem to go for silly prices. I'm not sure which key is used with your version, mine is the Lorenz style key.
Peter,

The key I'd like to get is the type mounted on what looks like a paxolin base with a black cover, no straps or non-skid feet. At present, I'm using one of the mini Clansman keys and whatever headphones are to hand. I've made a card-winder for the 100ft of aerial wire and I've a bunch of rocks for 3.5 and a few for 5 MHz, so the set is a goer, would just be nice to have all the original bits.

73 for Xmas and 2018

Roger
Old 24th Dec 2017, 8:32 pm   #28
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

Looking through the EMER F710 (dated 20 Feb 67) for the MK128B it has the following:

"ROLE:
The equipment is a portable H.F. radio station for use in airborne operations by the SAS".

For part numbers it lists:
Transmitter, radio, DWS, type 128B-50 5820-99-105-3683
Receiver, radio, DWS, type 128B-40 5820-99-105-3681

Could DWS refer to Diplomatic Wireless Service?

It wouldn't be the first time the military adopted a set. A good example is the U.S. RS-1 set made for the CIA. It was used by the army who called it the GRC-109
Old 24th Dec 2017, 10:41 pm   #29
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

I'd say you are right about the meaning of "DWS" Bruce, but as you mentioned in an earlier post the SR128 is really too low-powered for an embassy back-up set, the MK123 would be the radio of choice for that. The main embassy set for CW and RTTY was the Mark 214, with a pair of 813s in the PA stage.

I heard a tale from a now deceased DWS technican of two MK 33 TXs being unearthed during renovations of a UK embassy in Europe, that TX would have had slightly more power than the MK123 and used an 807 PA. I think they were paired with an HRO receiver.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 17th Feb 2018, 6:29 pm   #30
srawcliffe
Diode

Acquired one of these back in the 1980s from a shop in Norwich -- just the TX, RX, webbing backpack, one crystal, battery (miraculously still working!) and a headset and key which visibly didn't belong. All appeared to work last time I tried it (over 30 years ago!) but seem to remember the crystal wasn't for an amateur band frequency so could only test the receiver.

Will perhaps have to bimble over to the "Offers and wanted" section to see if I can get my paws on some genuine ancillaries.

Steve
G4YXU
Closed Thread