UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2017, 5:01 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Vacuum capacitor in pulse application?

Hi folks,

I have experience of various capacitors in high-voltage, high current applications, and I know that Strontium titanate doorknobs capacitors are pretty hard to beat in RF pulse applications.

I do have a lovely ex-Soviet vaccuum capacitor (fixed) of the correct value for a tank circuit I need to build, but it is physically huge, so not mechanically trivial to mount it. With my capacities still restricted to some extent, I don't want to invest time concocting an elaborate, suitably strong assembly for lacklustre results.

So before trying it, I wondered if anyone can say what sort of performance I could expect in an HF tank circuit? It's 150pF, the glass envelope is 7cm in diameter and around 10cm long. It is terminated axially with big aluminium connectors with screw threads.

It can obviously deal with peak currents in the 100s of A, but is a fixed vacuum capacitor actually designed for pulse use, or more typically as an RF bypass capacitor or similar?

The alternative is a 15kV rated doorknob capacitor, again ex-Soviet NOS, containing silver. It is huge and virtually indestructable, but I don't yet own it. That of course is very easy to manipulate by comparison.

Thank you folks!

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 26th Sep 2017 at 5:14 pm.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 8:54 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Vaccuum capacitor in pulse application?

Vacuum caps are used almost universally in high-power broadcast HF tank-circuits so should be OK for your application. We used Jennings, Comet, EEV devices fixed and variable, water-cooled and simple glass or ceramic envelope devices.

The small 50pF - 150pF vac caps (about 3" to 6" long and 2" diameter) are rated at 35kV - 50kV. They can occasionally go 'soft' when they'll glow purple.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 9:07 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Vaccuum capacitor in pulse application?

Hi Russell,

Thank you , that's reassuring! Is there any X-ray risk with perhaps 15kV pulses in the tank circuit?
Old 26th Sep 2017, 9:36 pm   #4
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Default Re: Vacuum capacitor in pulse application?

probably not. You only get x rays when free electrons strike a solid target, usually tungsten. In a tank circuit the electrons are all contained in the wiring or capacitors so no free electrons so no x rays. There might be a small chance of some low level x rays if it arced over in some fashion but even then the energy would be so low as to be insignificant and the UV from the arc more noticeable.
Malcolm
Old 26th Sep 2017, 10:34 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G6ANZ View Post
You only get x rays when free electrons strike a solid target, usually tungsten.
You can also get them from a beam of electrons accelerated up to about 2000 x rest mass when they go round the bends in a synchrotron.

When that beam was "lost" and the electrons hit the structure you got a gamma ray "flash"
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Sep 2017, 7:35 am   #6
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

True, your'e talking about Bremmenstralung (sp) radiation. This radiation is emitted whenever a stream of ,fast moving, electrons are bent in a magnetic field. There is usually a lot of lead shielding to absorb the radiation around the bend magnets.
CRT users need not worry
Malcolm
Closed Thread