UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2006, 11:20 am   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Quad II, KT66 substitutes.

Hi all

Can anyone tell a suitable alternative for the KT66 output valves in the Quad II valve amp. KT66s seem to be pretty expensive or of dubious quality.

TimR

Last edited by Darren-UK; 24th Oct 2007 at 3:16 pm. Reason: Error in Quad model number corrected.
Old 8th Nov 2006, 11:29 am   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KT66 substitute

I think the 6L6 is probably the cheapest satisfactory substitute :-

http://members.aol.com/pmobbs/Site2/...5___new_valves

Regards, Mick.
Old 8th Nov 2006, 12:21 pm   #3
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Thumbs up Re: KT66 substitute

Hi TimR,

Just as a mild warning, the Quad II's tend to be a bit of a KT66 equivalent eater !!
I have found that the Russian Sovtek 5881/6L6WGC's work well and have a fairly good life.
I can also reccomend the newly released copies of the original GEC KT66's but as you say these are quite expensive.
If you have'nt checked, have a look at the biasing resistors and caps in your amps and make sure they are in good condition, also the grid feed caps. This will ensure that you don't ruin your nice new valves when you fit them.

All the best,
Alan.
Old 8th Nov 2006, 12:35 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I put EL34s in one of the pair of Quad II amps I had years ago. Had to strap down the suppressor grid and I may have tweaked the cathode resistors to give correct bias current though I don't remember having to do this. It was a long time ago. The amp worked perfectly. It even worked OK with a KT66 and an EL34. I admit that my ears are not super golden but I couldn't find any problems.

EL37 should also work well.

These amps are very non-critical of valve characteristics - a testament to Peter Walker's excellent design.

Don't ignore Alan's comment about checking the coupling caps and bias.
Old 8th May 2007, 7:15 am   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Hi. I have used 6L6GC valves in place of the KT66's with no ill effect. The best 6L6GC's are the RCA version but are like hens teeth and probably as rare as the KT66's The RCA's are often to be seen on US ebay hoiwever.
Mike.
Old 11th May 2007, 1:23 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

Be a bit careful whatever you use, the mains transformers in these are very marginal so make sure the valves you pick have the same (or lower) heater current as the originals. For valves produced recently, actually measure this with a meter as they don't all match the original specifications. A dodge you can use is to disconnect the GZ34 heater and wire in a couple of 1N4007 diodes (with resistors) underneath, this frees up a bit of current for the other valve heaters. Not really recommended though...

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the cathode resistor is under-rated too, make sure it's not changed value. Not a great design really.
Closed Thread