UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:04 pm   #1
Station X

Default Rotary controls. Direction of rotation?

Quoting from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36228

Quote:
Most water and gas valves turn clockwise to reduce the flow. Volume controls work the other way. Confusing? My late mother often turned a volume control the wrong way. We also say "wind up the wick" when we want it louder. Presumably by analogy with oil lamps. In this case the rotation is the same way.
Fluid valves open anti-clockwise. That's because they have right hand threads. They have right hand threads because early threads were cut on lathes. Lathes have the headstock on the left to suit a right handed person. Cuts are always made towards the headstock with the work rotating towards you. Hence a right hand thread results.

Plug cocks like those on my gas cooker also operate anti clockwise, so I guess the convention was continued. Why then do rotary electric controls increase clockwise?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:12 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Rotary controls. Direction of rotation?

I suppose because turning it clockwise is 'advancing' as with time. You can always swap the ends of the pot round though.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:14 pm   #3
Station X

Quote:
You can always swap the ends of the pot round though.
Not with a log law pot you can't.

Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:17 pm   #4
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Hmm, because they always have I guess; but someone must have decided the first time a volume control was used.

Similar analogy with slider controls on a mixer desk, up for an increase in volume.
With one exception, the BBC spec is to have them increase when sliding down (off at the top) hence all BBC desks have them the 'wrong way'.

Mike.

P.S. Just saw Peter's reply (advancing with time) guess that could be the answer.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:39 pm   #5
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

The rotary motion to fit with clocks and "clockwise", goes back to sundials and the normal rotation in the nothern hemisphere (where sundials originated).

Once one has become accustomed to that, it is but a short step to thinking that any rotary motion advances in the same way, as it has become intuitive.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 12:45 pm   #6
Station X

In my house there is one exception to the clockwise rule. The room thermostat for the central heating is rotated anti-clockwise to increase the temperature. Why should that be?

Old 15th Jan 2009, 1:42 pm   #7
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Rotary controls. Direction of rotation?

I just would like to say "thank you" to Graham for Post 1. I've always wondered about that - now I know.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 2:31 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The room thermostat for the central heating is rotated anti-clockwise to increase the temperature. Why should that be?
I think that's universal too. The temperatures are marked in the usual sense, i.e. running from low to high as you read clockwise, but they're marked on the knob rather than the enclosure hence the need to to turn anticlockwise to increase the temperature.

Again, that may be due to the thread-cutting convention mentioned above, where mechanical stats are concerned. But the convention has now carried over to all-electronic room stats where the knob is coupled to a pot or rotary encoder.

Nick
Old 15th Jan 2009, 2:32 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Another convention is the cueing lever on turntables. Pushing it away from you always raises the arm... except on Duals
Old 15th Jan 2009, 4:00 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
In my house there is one exception to the clockwise rule. The room thermostat for the central heating is rotated anti-clockwise to increase the temperature. Why should that be?
Because you're holding the tail and wagging the dog!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 5:03 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Quote:
The room thermostat for the central heating is rotated anti-clockwise to increase the temperature. Why should that be?
I think that's universal too.
This seems to confirm what I previously only suspected - that my central heating belongs to an alternative universe

(with apologies for the abominable quality of the image)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THERMO.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	22459  
Old 16th Jan 2009, 2:28 am   #12
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

From the photo that thermostat looks identical to mine (a Switchmaster). The scale on mine is clockwise though

BG
Old 17th Jan 2009, 12:33 am   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

A curiosity. On another thread
( https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36296)
there is a photo of an 1155.
The logging scale is clockwise as usual, but the set tunes anti-clockwise on all ranges. Did the designer think in wavelength
Old 17th Jan 2009, 10:03 am   #14
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Many years ago an article in an Electronics Magazine discussed the new control panels for ships. These were in effect "fly by wire " systems with rotary potentiometers on the panel controlling the final actuators. There was an interesting situation where users from an engine room environment tended to expect to turn the speed control anti-clockwise to increase speed. They saw it as a steam valve that operated this way. Others from a different background however saw it as a "volume control" and expected clockwise rotation to increasee speed.
Old 18th Jan 2009, 11:16 am   #15
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Something funny :
My wife always go the wrong side when operating any control. So you often jump when she want to reduce the radio or HIFI volume ...
The oven knob goes "the wrong way" and she also fail. So I think there is no rule ;-) almost for ergonomics ....
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:02 pm   #16
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Taps vs volume controls.

Why do water taps go the opposite way to volume controls? Taps go clockwise to turn the water off, v/c's go anti-clockwise to reduce the volume to zero.
I've just been asked this question by a friend and told him it had been discussed here, but I couldn't recall the answer (if any).
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:09 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Taps vs volume controls.

Classical taps designs go the way they do so they can be made with right-handed threads for which taps (the other sort!) and dies are more plentiful. They pre-date volume controls.

David
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:14 pm   #18
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Because of the screw pitch, Andy. Taps conventionally work by driving a screw into a threaded space (with or without some kind of piston) to reduce the cross sectional area available for the water to flow through, down to zero. The tighter the compression, the smaller the space.

This 'vintage' diagram illustrates it nicely.

Taps pre-date volume controls by a very long time indeed - they were very highly established technology - so there was no reason to redesign them to tally with the concept of going anticlockwise to turn something down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tap.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	151005  
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:14 pm   #19
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I remember a water drain tap (on a car engine 40 years ago -- sorry!) that had to be screwed in to open it. It was made with a left hand thread so it worked the same way the tap in the bathroom -- anticlockwise to open.

I believe there were a few radios made (American?) where you turned the volume control clockwise to reduce the volume and ultimately open the on/off switch.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:17 pm   #20
kalee20
Dekatron

Electric cookers you turn the knobs clockwise to raise the heat; gas coolers you turn anticlockwise to raise the heat. I think different origins establish different conventions, which occasionally clash.
Closed Thread