UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2017, 12:10 pm   #21
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: GPO Telephones Tape Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
The 'Tapes, Measuring, 66ft' that I mentioned I've got, is listed in a 1944 edition of the 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' - as is the 'Rule, Boxwood, 2ft, 4 fold' . So means that you were around before then ? Wow!
I took over a subs app post in the late 60's when I came out of my time, (included in the kit was a 2ft rule) so they were around then.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 9:44 am   #22
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Oh! A mere youngster!

I came out of my time onto 'transmission' on a repeater station. Don't remember getting anything other than a 'Coat 6A' a khaki dustcoat . Seem to remember getting a set of tools when 'made up' to a TO a year later - still a teenager (just). Those were the days 50+ years ago

I've still got the 'Wallets, Tool No 4' and its contents - paid for as 'Lost Tools' when I left. I remember speaking to a L3 in Regional HQ nearly thirty years later about 'acquiring' some WB400 bits and pieces from an exchange where I was recovering some racks for my collection. The local TO said I couldn't have ( he was known as 'Smiler' he was so miserable) despite then being in a scrap pile! So I took the other route and went above him and contacted 'the guy at the top'. It turned out that the L3 had the rest of my tool kit as he'd got my TO post after I left all those years before. Did I get what I wanted? I'll leave you to guess!
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 1:35 pm   #23
Oldcodger
Nonode

I ended up in transmission after supposedly upsetting my boss . Large TRS,where if you needed tools you asked and got ( within reason).
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 2:10 pm   #24
russell_w_b
Dekatron

You can still buy new, leather PO-type tool wallets from Canfords if you've at least £87.50 to spare (worth it for the smell! ).

These were also issued to BBC engineers, but had stopped by the time I'd become one in '85.

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/1...LET-No.3-Brown

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 8:34 pm   #25
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Or you can try https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/produ...ts-lear/PG0207 where a leather No 4 is £47 plus VAT but the No 6 picture is incorrect - the No 6 is a large 'suitcase' style with two carrying handles.

And if you are looking for the larger No 3 wallet or the No 5 try http://telecomsupplyline.com/catalogue/tools.htm where you'll find quite a few GPO/PO/BT tools with their original designations. If I remember correctly, TSLine has links with BT as when I asked for a catalogue of their external equipment about 12 years ago, I received a plastic ringbound printout of the BT 'list of stores as set out in the old 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' which included a full range of telegraph poles and fittings.' If BT could get it, TSL could supply it '
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 11:37 am   #26
Oldcodger
Nonode

Very similar ( if not identical ) are the tool wallets supplied to Net Work Rail Signals blokes .
Possibly obtainable from Unipart Crewe .Problem is that the catalogue is large and you have to sign up to get a price list . But as everything they sell has a certificate of conformity ,I'd expect the prices to be high .

http://www.unipartrail.com/catalogue.html
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 2:00 pm   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

The one I inherited from my Father in Law fell apart when the stitching rotted. I threw it away. If only I'd known!
Closed Thread