UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:08 pm   #1
Mach One
Heptode

Default Replacing valves with FET's.

Hello...

Has anyone thought of / tried as an experiment, replacing the valves in a valve radio with FETs (with the obvious change in HT supply)? To my mind, this ought to be possible.

Yours ignorantly...
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:18 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Valves Out, FETs In

Hi, I remember a detailed article in a magazine from the early eighties to "upgrade" a valved communications receiver by replacing the valves with fets and altering supplies etc. If I remember correctly, the new devices were mounted on "plug-ins" which plugged into the vacant valve bases. Strange idea. Wouldn't recommend it.

Biggles.

Last edited by Biggles; 19th Oct 2005 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Additional text.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:33 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

It's not radio, but I recall being supplied with a so-called 'solid state valve' to fit in place of the apparently then scarce to obtain output valve. I think it was the field output, usually a PCL8XXX in the rental Fergie chasses I worked on. There may have been one designed to replace one of the bottles in the line output stage, too, but I'm not sure about that. I believe they functioned adequately - but everyone preferred the valves!
-Tony
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:42 pm   #4
Rod H
Triode

Yes, I recall such devices, they were known as "Fetrons", and were contained in tubular metal cases that plugged in as a direct valve replacement.

I tried a Google search which came up with quite a few links, here is the first one up: http://www.sigtel.com/tel_tech_fetrons.html

Rod H
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:46 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

There was also a solid-state version of the PL802 luminance amplifier valve(PL802T I think). We used these in the old Pye hybrids when they became difficult to get. They worked OK and the picture was more stable. The PL802 had a habit of running into grid current. That did wonders for the picture!!

With regard to vintage radio's though it would be a no-no....at least from my point of view. I could not imagine replacing the PEN4DD in my Philips 470 radio with a FET......heaven forbid!!

Rich.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:50 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, the Fetron details appeared in a 1980 WW article and I think they were targetted at communications sets. They were touted as being lower noise and designed to be plug ins with no changes to circuitry.
The TV solid stae device was I think a PL504 T (?), a plug in for a particularly short life video OP valve. It lasted a lot longer than the hollow state type it replaced and was a compination of a small signal bipolar and a plastic power bipolar I think.
I did some experiments some time ago to see if I could produce a UL41 (T), these were moderately successful, but needed more work.

Ed
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:59 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Hi all, I remember solid state replacements for valve rectifiers being used at a previous workplace, they looked just like octal metal cased valves, and presumeably had two diodes in with a current limiter inside?

Biggles.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 1:24 pm   #8
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Valves Out, FETs In

As an emergency measure, pending the location of a proper replacement, I've used a solid-state valve consisting of a FET and npn RF bipolar transistor in a cascode circuit to replace a missing IF valve. The FET is the lower, input, device and the bipolar the upper 'grounded grid' amplifier. Its performance was pretty good, with about 20 volts supply via a resistor and zener diode.

Cheers,
Neil

(I used a 2N3819 FET with BF194 or similar I think).
Old 19th Oct 2005, 1:32 pm   #9
jim_jobe
Heptode

In the RSGB book, "Amateur Radio Techniques" (1970's editions)by Pat Hawker he mentions someone successfully replacing valves with FETs in communications receivers without changing component values and gives some circuitry.
Jim
Old 19th Oct 2005, 1:35 pm   #10
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Just so you can see these beasties, http://www.tubecollector.org/nonvalve/fetron.htm - the heatsinked one is the PL802T (if I remeber!), there is a plug in 2x transistor thing, and the one with the chip is an actual 'fetron'.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 3:47 pm   #11
brunel
Heptode

Slightly off topic.

I still have two of the solid state PL802's. (see pics)

Used by the hundreds in the Tandberg 1-90 series

brunel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solid PL-1.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solid PL-2.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1735  
Old 19th Oct 2005, 5:17 pm   #12
GMB
Dekatron

Could we have it's circuit?
Old 19th Oct 2005, 8:02 pm   #13
ratiodetector
Retired Dormant Member

Lightbulb Re: Valves Out, FETs In

There was a short article in Electronics World about 3 years ago where someone had replaced a valve with a FET (in a valve radio)
I'll see if I can dig it out.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 8:23 pm   #14
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

So how does one go about making a solid state replacement for a beam deflection mixer like the 7360 say??

SS plug-in replacements for 4CX250Bs and 7289s would be handy too. Not to mention 3-500Z and...

Regards

Frank N.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 9:25 pm   #15
roger_a
Retired Dormant Member

This site fully details a valve to semiconductor conversion on the Zenith range.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/marc/1l6.html

Roger
Old 20th Oct 2005, 11:15 am   #16
joe
Rest in Peace

Roger

Thanks for that interesting link. I have three Zenith Transoceanics waiting in the loft and its odds on that at least one will be without a functioning 1L6 heptode. If I ever get round to trying a home made "Fetron" replacement I'll post it & let you know what happens.

Joe
Old 20th Oct 2005, 7:45 pm   #17
Andy Day
Pentode

My experience of fets in the 70s was not good, they went short if you looked at them - mind you these were fet switches used as part of the switching matrix in automatic test equipment. However, it was enough to make us lads in the test lab sceptical when we heard of attempts to replace hot bottles with fets. (This was 1973 - 74).

Later experiences of switch mode PSUs and monitors showed that fets had indeed become quite robust, but I would still back a valve against a Fet in terms of ability to withstand operation outside it's spec.
Old 21st Oct 2005, 6:37 pm   #18
FrankB
Heptode

Here in the states we had many of the "plug in" replacements for tubes available years ago. The rectifier types are still available. Diode & triode types were the most common.

My old ham Elmer, Bill Ward, W7SS (SK) converted an entire Collins receiver to FET's, with circuitry of his own design.
I still have a few of the "solid state tubes" as they were called, for the TV HT & focus rectifiers, dampers, and HV rectifiers for industrial/ham equipment snoozing in my junkbox.
Old 10th Jun 2006, 11:05 pm   #19
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jobe
In the RSGB book, "Amateur Radio Techniques" (1970's editions)by Pat Hawker he mentions someone successfully replacing valves with FETs in communications receivers without changing component values and gives some circuitry.
Jim
Yes, I know that article too! The set in question was an Eddystone S640. The article continued to report that the RF alignment needed no adjustment after this mod! Now some might say this was vandalism, but . . .
Old 10th Jun 2006, 11:08 pm   #20
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB
Here in the states we had many of the "plug in" replacements for tubes available years ago. The rectifier types are still available. Diode & triode types were the most common.

My old ham Elmer, Bill Ward, W7SS (SK) converted an entire Collins receiver to FET's, with circuitry of his own design.
I still have a few of the "solid state tubes" as they were called, for the TV HT & focus rectifiers, dampers, and HV rectifiers for industrial/ham equipment snoozing in my junkbox.
He did WHAT to a COLLINS RX, for God's sake!
Closed Thread