UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2019, 1:35 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Bush DAC 90 shorting electric

See posts #10 and #12.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 1:46 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi there, I edited this picture of my set indicating which wire to cut to disconnect the most likely faulty component, but I was reluctant to post it in case the set (not to mention you yourself) got hurt. In the light of everyone else's good advice here it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	dac90.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	190032

The red X marks the spot, your wire will connect to the solder-tag above, just cut the wire, no real need to replace the capacitor, the set will work without it.

Trivial, you might say, and you'll be right, except for one thing, you need to access the underside of the chassis, and that involves removing the three knobs (warning, they don't just pull off, they each have a screw that must be slackened) and unscrewing the nut & bolt securing the round aerial coil from the side of the cabinet, then you can withdraw the chassis and work on the other side.

This doesn't address the fact that some other capacitors (particularity one) really need replacing if they are original, but there is a very good chance it will get your set working as before.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 6:44 pm   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

An aside if it is an RCD that's tripping...

The incomer ('Main Switch') in my house is an RCD. A couple of times when I have had a serious overcurrent fault live-neutral (i.e. earth was _not_ involved), it tripped. Once was when a fillament light bulb failed, the other is when I did something stupid on my workbench.

My guess is that there are slight inaccuracies in the differential current transformer in the RCD so that a large overcurrent in both live and neutral will generate enough signal in said transformer to trip the device. To be honest I don't really care, if I have a short across the mains or similar I want something to trip and cut the power off, I don't really mind what trips.

This could explain why a DAC90 (no earth connection) with a shorted mains filter capacitor could trip an RCD.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 9:29 pm   #24
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The fault's in the radio then. Snip out the cap as described in post #11. It may not be the faulty, but without test gear there's not much else you can do apart from making a careful visual inspection of the wiring to the voltage selector dropper resistor etc.
Gentlemen I congratulate you and thank you!!!

Snipping the cap worked and its running again thanks again for all advice given.

Last edited by JUSTDAMO; 12th Sep 2019 at 9:35 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2019, 11:15 pm   #25
PJL
Dekatron

Don't use the set as other parts will fail, just sell it as it is now. It needs to be properly serviced before the power can be left on for long.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 9:29 am   #26
Tractionist
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Don't use the set as other parts will fail, just sell it as it is now. It needs to be properly serviced before the power can be left on for long.
Amen to that!
Old 13th Sep 2019, 1:57 pm   #27
Sideband
Dekatron

The capacitor that shorted out was a warning! All the other capacitors are of the same age and likely to do the same thing (to a greater or lesser degree). DON'T USE IT. Sell it as unrestored but working with a comment that it should be fully serviced before use.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 2:08 am   #28
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

If you want to continue to use it, the other posters are right: after over 70 years it really will require some further attention to work properly and avoid damage.
A post in the "Repair and Restoration Services Wanted" section here would be worth a try if you don't want to do it yourself after reading the numerous threads here covering this popular model.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 11:15 am   #29
kalee20
Dekatron

Definitely.

This capacitor failed and fast-fried your fuses.

There is another capacitor which is likely to have failed, but instead will slo-cook two of your valves, which are more expensive than fuses and moreover are a finite resource!
Old 14th Sep 2019, 1:03 pm   #30
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Definitely.

will slo-cook two of your valves,

....and the output transformer!
Old 14th Sep 2019, 1:27 pm   #31
Station X

I think we've got the message. Let's hope the OP does!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 9:45 pm   #32
emeritus
Dekatron

The mains capacitor had failed S/C in the first DAC90 I was asked to fix. I think that capacitor was provided to filter out the hash you could get on DC mains from generator ripple and/or commutator brush sparking from DC motors. Removing the capacitor from mine had no obvious effects, and in Chelmsford it was even possible to get noise-free reception of a couple of continental medium wave stations in daytime by turning up the volume to max, whereas my state-of-the-art Sony portable with its PLL tuning and all, was completely silent. That was in the 1990's when there were still plenty of AM stations broadcasting. I did fit a replacement capacitor once I had found one before returning it.
Closed Thread