UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2013, 12:10 am   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Exclamation NVCF - 12th MAY 2013

Hi All,

Just one week to go before the 2013 NVCF.

I am told by Guy Peskett, who deals with stall bookings that he has added extra rows of tables for this event due to extra demand.
This means that there are still some tables available so if you want one, then contact guy quickly as it usually goes mad in the last week!
Guy can be contacted on 01865-247971 If answer machine, DO leave a message and he will get back to you.

For STALLHOLDERS - Gates open from 06:00 and loading doors open at 07:00

For EARLY ENTRY VISITORS - doors open at 09:00 (subject to fire officer approval ***)

For NORMAL ENTRY VISITORS - doors open at 10:30.

Due to increases in venue hire charges, we are forced to put up our entry prices.

Early Entry - £25 per person.

Normal Visitor Entry - £8 per person.

To put this in perspective, when we were at the NEC, the event entry was £5 and the car parking was £7.
The Warwick Exhibition centre is free parking and plenty of it right by the hall.
Don't forget, BVWS members get a £1 discount in the form of the Restaurant voucher but you must show your Membership Card (they do have a use and members are proud to carry them!)

See you there,

Mike...

*** We are legally bound not to be able to open the doors at 09:00 until the fire/H&S officer is satisfied that the hall is safe.
This is a condition laid down by the owners of the Exhibition Centre and we do not have the power to override it, so ALL stallholders MUST keep the gangway floors clear and be aware that the H&S/fire officer will be wandering around the hall from 08:30 onwards to check this. If you are asked to move any items PLEASE co-operate as it only delays the whole event start.
Old 5th May 2013, 8:38 am   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: NVCF - 12th MAY 2013

Thanks for the info. I'll take my chances with normal entry. I don't agree with shelling out extra to jump the queue.

Cheers

Aub
Old 5th May 2013, 9:31 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Most of the amateur radio rallies I know do entry an hour early, for no extra fee, for the disabled only (often the fee is waived as well). The rest of us turn up early-ish to have a decent chance of finding a parking spot, and are then forced to hang around outside the doors having a natter, meeting old friends and all those sorts of hardships.

Letting people in early just for a fee seems to be an amalgam of a **** Air type ethos, and the fear that if you don't stump up, you'll miss all the best bits. I suppose it means the eager beavers reduce the entry fee for all the others, though.

When the rally doors open, I spend an hour or two looking around before buying anything, and I deliberately don't buy anything nice-but-heavy until right at the end when stallholders are not thinking happy thoughts about lugging it back to the van and storing it for the next event...

David
Old 5th May 2013, 5:38 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I suppose it means the eager beavers reduce the entry fee for all the others, though.
The early entry fees are a significant chunk of the event income, so yes, if they went then normal entry and stall fees would have to go up. They will probably be buying the stuff the rest of us can't afford anyway!

Early entry has been a part of the NVCF long before the BVWS owned and ran it, and I don't see it changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
....I deliberately don't buy anything nice-but-heavy until right at the end when stallholders are not thinking happy thoughts about lugging it back to the van and storing it for the next event...
Good plan. Prices are often reduced later in the day so it's worth hanging around until near the end to grab a bargain.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th May 2013, 11:16 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I will be in Kings Heath and the NVCF is conveniently half way between there and my other relatives in Bicester. It is a so much better location, by comparison the NEC is more like an airport! My grandchildren won't take kindly to us disappearing too early so it will be well after opening time when we get there but that has never been a problem for me. I have paid the early bird fee at some events in the past [particularly the Audiojumble at Tonbridge] but as Paul says its not essential unless you have a particular agenda-if it supports the event financing though .
The free parking does make a really big difference both financially and in terms of overall atmosphere as it's not just endless concrete!It's a pleasant surprise when you get there and see the setting-low impact!
Dave W
Old 6th May 2013, 1:04 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Speaking for myself and not as a BVWS committee member, I do think the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre is the ideal location for the NVCF - the event and the venue compliment each other perfectly.

I have been involved with the event with the BVWS there and previously at the NEC (and also at the one-off at the Motorcycle Museum). The move to the WEC was perfect for the event, and has allowed it to grow and evolve.

For the WEC we are the ONLY event that weekend and are treated as such, whereas for the NEC our little one day event was almost an irritation.

Free parking next to the venue and excellent catering at very reasonable prices are added bonuses for everyone attending, and we are able to do things like the shuttle bus to/from Leamington Spa and restaurant voucher for BVWS members which would have been impossible at the NEC.

Certainly the majority of feedback to the BVWS committee has been in favour of the event at the WEC. Comments, good and bad, are always welcomed.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th May 2013, 8:21 am   #7
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Speaking personally, I've never liked early entry fees for events, and they usually put me off attending - I suppose it comes from when I was young, and started my radio/electronics hobby with radios and TV's from the local Jumble Sales, as many of us here probably did. These often sneaked "dealers" in the back door for an increased fee whilst the queue was waiting outside. I would far rather have the same fee and time for everyone, even if it was slightly increased. Although the income from the early entry fees can be calculated, what is not quantifiable is how many "ordinary" visitors choose not to attend due to the early entry, and hence how much in "ordinary" entry fees are lost.
Old 6th May 2013, 8:57 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

I think that's the difference between Amateur radio rallies and vintage radio sales. All the amateur radio dealers are already inside with their stalls set up, ready to sell 1p components up to £9000 transceivers. Almost all their stuff is new, second hand stuff is on their stalls at appreciably lower prices and it's mostly traded in items from new sales. There isn't money to be made in buying second hand stuff and refurbishing it for resale. So the idea of letting the disabled gang in first for a quiet look around before the aisles get packed doesn't disturb what gets bought and by whom.

For the vintage radio doo, the problem is that it's got some similarities to the antiques trade and people do find the occasional scruffy 'old master' which after a bit of restoration can turn a profit. So the early bird will pay for a go at the best worms. I made my earlier comment because I was rather surprised by the magnitude of the early entry premium, though in retrospect it makes sense.

As Paul said, these people will be after things that the rest of us would consider too expensive. And we can get plenty of fun from something unknown.

Dealers scenting money would find a way to sift through the stuff ahead of time some other way. It's dangerous to stand in the way of someone propelled by avarice, one is liable to look like a stampede went over.

Oh, there's an amateur radio sale due in Livingston next month, which can be good for components test gear and old military surplus stuff. I'm booked to give a talk which I think is simply a plan to get me out of the way and give everyone else a chance at the junk ;-)

David
Old 6th May 2013, 9:20 am   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Part of the reason for early entry is to stop people buying a stall with no intention of stocking it, just so they can get into the hall early. It has happened, and the pricing of a stall compared to early entry is intended so that early entry is preferable (plus the rules prohibit people buying stalls they don't intend to stock).

As it is already the stallholders are able to look around and buy before the early entry, though most are kept busy setting up their own stalls.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th May 2013, 10:32 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Returning to the subject of venues, having been to all three mentioned above, I feel that the current one stands head and shoulders over the other two.

Although the Motorcycle Museum had a nice cosy feel (the only one with carpets!), being spread across multiple rooms was a bit of a drawback. I also recall it feeling rather cramped. And I seem to remember that the NEC event was consistently making a loss for the BVWS.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:24 pm   #11
Dickie
Octode

I have to agree that overall the WEC is the best venue so far. But the NEC did have a couple of good points. Firstly the queueing to get in was undercover, and secondly (very important for some of us ), you had access to the toilets before you got in!
Who remembers queueing in the snow for the one-off NVCF at Wembley?

Richard, BVWS member
Old 6th May 2013, 12:41 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

My wife stays in the car with sandwiches and the Sunday papers! I spotted the toilet access issue the first time and she was directed round the side of the building where you apparently can access the indoor facilities independently. As I said though, we usually arrive later so I don't know if that's available first thing
Dave W
Old 6th May 2013, 12:56 pm   #13
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I agree that the Warwickshire exhibition center is by far the best place for the NVCF, it's closer to my house for a start! and easier to find. The food is good there too, and not overpriced. I don't mind the queueing outside, as so far every year it's been really nice weather! I also like that someone thought to run around the queue selling the tickets, saves a lot of time when the gates open.

I didn't like the one at the Motorcycle museum, it was too cosy! A bit like when I was at Download festival in the moshpit... you just have to go with the crowd!

The cost of getting into the event doesn't bother me much, it's only once a year, and I don't go to any other events (if I did I'd have run out of space years ago!). I've never gone for the early entry, although I wish I had last year as I saw someone walking out with a set I wanted just as I was joining the queue!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 6th May 2013, 2:08 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
...and secondly (very important for some of us ), you had access to the toilets before you got in!
Yes there are usually a few people who need that each year. Maybe we need to look into getting a portaloo for future events, though of course it's a further cost.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th May 2013, 2:29 pm   #15
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The ability to use a lavatory prior to queuing would be appreciated, as that is usually my first port of call after a long car journey. I do, however, appreciate that providing a portaloo would be an additional expense.
Old 6th May 2013, 5:01 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I'll be there.
Old 6th May 2013, 6:07 pm   #17
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

Unless they have been shut or removed (I will check this) there are toilets at the far end of the building (behind and below the restaurant end) which are open from the car park.

This Venue IS THE BEST !!!

The motorcycle Museum was posh, but not really any more economic than the NEC and did have split rooms which we did not like.

The NEC was just a joke to deal with. The management and staff changed every year and could not organise a p*** up in a brewey plus they were over £18,000 for one day!!! with car parking charges and more than unpleasant security staff.

We are staying at the WEC !!!

We have been lucky with the weather so far and hope that this continues, but if we did have terential rain, we would bring everyone within the front area by the cash office to wait there until time, so I don't think this will ever be a problem.

The shuttle bus from Leamington Spa railway station will be operational once again, so make good use of it.

I look forward to seeing you all on the day.
I will be doing my usual "greeting the cars" with Jim on the entrance drive way.

Mike...
Old 6th May 2013, 7:14 pm   #18
threeseven
Octode

Somehow I always thought the NVCF was bigger when at the NEC? The WEC is way more preferable though, free parking is so appreciated.
Old 6th May 2013, 7:53 pm   #19
bobbyball
Octode

Been looking forward to it since the one last year finished.

The only way I woud EVER miss one is if I dropped dead! The venue is entirely satisfactory, the cafe superb and the access excellent.

A thourough "thumbs up" and many thanks to Mike and the team for making it the great day out it is. The only "down side" for me is getting up so darned early - ask my mate Vic about how I "don't do earlies"!!!

All the Best to all

Robert
Old 6th May 2013, 10:16 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

Nice to hear a venue so well spoken of. Good job done in finding it.

I remember the last years of the RSGB at the NEC. They weren't happy occassions with everything looking lost in a huge hall. Fortunately being with the G-QRP gang was an antidote to the overall bad vibes.

I'll have to make a foray Southwards one year.

David