UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 9:13 pm   #1
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Bush VTR 265 Transistor radio

This set was a 25p purchase last year at the local car boot. A Taiwanese manufactured set, I thought it would give me an insight of what happened to Bush by the 1970's.

The set worked fine on FM but LW was largely non existent and MW a bit lacklustre. FM however was excellent and the set worked well on a mains supply. The dial has the red and blue BBC radio stickers and a curious second dial pointer made from white wire wound around the red pointer. A holiday to a coastal holiday cottage in Essex gave me an excuse to service this little set; (SWMBO might object if I took my Murphy TV...).

Upon opening the back the cause was down to to the ferrite aerial rod being broken into 3 pieces, probably from the set being dropped in the past. Strangely I never noticed the rattle of fragments inside the case. I glued the 3 pieces back together with Loctite and MW and LW performance was restored, with RTE Radio received on LW and Radio Caroline on MW.

A few basic checks found all other electronics looking OK including the caps around the mains rectifier. The build quality is OK with only a few pieces of trim to be glued back down.

I left the stickers and the custom pointer in place as it is part of the history of this quite interesting little set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190819_002.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	188736   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190822_004.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	188737   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190822_001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	188738  

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:14 am   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush VTR 265 Transistor radio

Interesting addition to the pointer.
Also you were lucky all the wires to the AM aerial coils had not come adrift, they can be murder to work out where they all go.
I feel I have had a radio similar to this pass through my collection at some point in the past.
Nice set.
Mike
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 7:23 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

Nice for 25p! Typical look from the early/mid 70's with the brushed aluminium and slider pots. It was a shame to see RBM going down the nick. I remember the visits from the rep at that time and he seemed embarrassed to tell us we could only have a couple of their CTV's if we also took some audio gear.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 2:50 pm   #4
Koloman
Banned

Andrew2, maš neake tranzistorove radia TESLA vo svojej zbierke?? Nevidel som to tam. Ja mam cca 25kusov, tak možem neake poslať,,
Old 24th Aug 2019, 3:31 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Eh?
Old 24th Aug 2019, 4:06 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koloman View Post
Andrew2, maš neake tranzistorove radia TESLA vo svojej zbierke?? Nevidel som to tam. Ja mam cca 25kusov, tak možem neake poslať,,
Please post in English. You are probably the only forum member who understands Slovak.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:42 pm   #7
simpsons
Octode

Moderator, let me help.

"Andrew2, maš neake tranzistorove radia TESLA vo svojej zbierke?" etc

Andrew2, do you have Neake transistor series TESLA in your collection ?? I didn't see it there. I have about 25pcs, so I can none send.

Only Andrew and Koloman know what this means but at least we know what was said. I think!

Chris with the help from Google Translate
Old 25th Aug 2019, 9:01 am   #8
Andrew2
Nonode

Ah. 'do you have any transistor series TESLA in your collection ?? I didn't see it there. I have about 25pcs, so I can none send'

No Teslas here I'm afraid. In fact my collection is pretty small at the moment as I've moved a few on and scrapped the sadder examples (and kept any handy parts).