UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2019, 2:34 pm   #1
compaqfp7317
Diode

Default Bush SRP31D record player

I bought a fully restored 31D with the BSR blue Monarch deck in it from a well respected dealer. It had a three month warranty that has now expired. It works well with no major problems but to my ear, compared to another valve set we have, it sounds ever so slightly distorted It has a Sonatone 8gGA cart/stylus. I believe my first port of call would be to replace the stylus?

i realise from research that the speakers in these were not really big enough and can get a bit muddled at high volumes so I'm not trying to blast it up full and I don't think this is causing the distorted sound.

i know very little about old valve sets other than what I've read on the 31D being quite well respected and I've had the 31C in the past fitted with a later BSR cart and it sounded fine.

Any help/advice very much appreciated as I'm a newbie on here.

Thanks.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 3:36 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: bush srp31d record player

8GA or 8TA cartridge?
The stylus could be worn or damaged. Worn would depend on use, how many hours? Damaged, bad handling or damaged records.

A call to the dealer may be worthwhile, they know what repairs have been done, unless it’s a long time since your bought it.

Edit. It shouldn’t be distorted, a well respected record player in its time. There are lots of possibilities without more information it’s not really possible to suggest what the problem is.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 10:41 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: bush srp31d record player

If you have upgraded to the Bush from using another type of record player, it might have been that you were previously playing your Stereo LPs (and 90% of them will be Stereo) on an old Mono-only cartridge. I get this problem all the time from my Customers.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 11:46 am   #4
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush SRP31D record player

The differences between the SRP31C and the SRP31D, apart from the substitution of a BSR deck for the Garrard one, are mainly cabinet styling so, electronically, they should perform equally well.

As well as checking the stylus, check the tracking weight and for any lateral stiffness in the arm which will pull the stylus sideways when playing.
Old 11th Aug 2019, 4:17 pm   #5
compaqfp7317
Diode

Thanks for replies. I think it's the Sonotone 8TA, it has a bright red body. Think I recall the dealer saying it was an original cart and he didn't feel it was worth replacing with a modern BSR type because it was still performing well.
Old 11th Aug 2019, 9:12 pm   #6
regentone001
Heptode

I think that there are more differences than mentioned between the SRP31C and SRP31D.The SRP 31C used a pair of ECL83 valves where as the SRP31D used a pair of EL86s so while most of the electronics will be similar there will be differences.
Steve
Old 11th Aug 2019, 9:35 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

One thing that causes distortion is low HT. I know you say that you bought it from a reputable dealer but i wonder if they did replace the rectifier?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 11th Aug 2019, 10:10 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

From my experience I would suspect the cart. All the 8TAs I have seen in the last decade or so had deteriorated suspension. I use a slightly newer Sonotone 3509 cart (previously stripped and rebuilt by my good self!) in mine, and it sounds great.

My second call would be to check the HT voltage, as already mentioned. The speaker could conceivably have a scraping coil but check the other things first.

I suppose one way of checking the cart would be to wire the 31D's output socket to a suitable(1 meg?) input on another amp and see if the sound is distorted.
Old 12th Aug 2019, 1:03 pm   #9
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Those HT rectifiers were a common source of problems on a number of Bush sets so definitely should be checked.

The idea of checking the cartridge using another amplifier is an extremely good one!
Old 12th Aug 2019, 1:54 pm   #10
PsychMan
Octode

I've seen a few of these amps and every time the rectifier has been bad - if still present. I looked at one recently. It was a little lacking in volume and sound quality. Measured HT to be 90V! I was surprised it worked as it did with such low HT. Replaced it with a 1N4007 and a 7 watt 300 ohm (or thereabouts) resistor.
Old 19th Aug 2019, 10:03 pm   #11
compaqfp7317
Diode

Thanks.

I've ordered a new stylus which doesn't look too tricky to change. Failing that I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to fiddle any further as not technically minded although I adore vintage items. I'm hoping the stylus will improve things though from what you kind members have said it could be a list of things. It's a shame as it's cosmetically very good. Perhaps I may sell on. If a new stylus doesn't rectify it and try to recoup some of the cost.

Thanks everyone.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 6:44 pm   #12
compaqfp7317
Diode

Default Replacing Sonotone 8T4A/8TA sylus on BSR Monarch deck

Hi.

Further on to my last thread ref some distortion on my Bush SRP 31D, I now have a replacement stylus but am finding it fiddly replacing it. I turn it half mast, which expands the little black clip retainer, I assume to make room to flip the stylus over, but as I'm trying to remove the stylus the Sonotone cart is moving and I don't want to break/damage it. I'm a novice with only practice replacing standard BSR ST16's/22 etc. which easily flip out. Very frustrating. I'm sure it's simple but worried about causing damage.

Any advice please.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 10:25 pm   #13
Audio1950
Dekatron

Those Sonotone 8TAs have a very flexible mounting bracket, which is why it's moving about. Hold the stylus so that the "kink" in the shaft is horizontal, then hold the cartridge steady with the other hand, and just push the shaft under the spring, where it will click into place. Whatever you do, DON'T try to pull the spring downwards to get the stylus in, it will stretch the spring out of shape, and a stylus will never fit properly again.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 10:34 pm   #14
dalgwcobl
Pentode

If you can find someone to fit the new stylus for you, you can then see if it improves the sound quality. I recently bought a SRP31D in very nice condition.The guy had replaced the 8TA with one of the amazingly cheap Chinese ceramic cartridges - LP stylus only - and it works very well. He said the 8TA had failed, so maybe yours is on the way out.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 8:31 pm   #15
ben
Dekatron

Re: stylus removal and replacement in Sonotone 8TA, please see attached instruction. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	189245  
Old 31st Aug 2019, 9:42 pm   #16
Michael Maurice

Dont forget that if you change the cartridge, you will have to change the connecting tags.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread