UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2014, 5:20 pm   #41
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Golborne Meeting - November 2nd

It was a good day, I could not stay as long as I had hoped to but thanks to SteveP I went home with exactly the radio I came to try and find, an Ekco U332. Also bought a Pye R33, I will have to find out what is rolling about inside that set.
Frank
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 5:31 pm   #42
jonbyrne
Retired Dormant Member

I got a back a few hours ago and had a great few hours at the event, highlight being the fantastic talk by Keith about power supplies, lots of useful info there relevant in a number of areas.

Despite my instructions from the boss I did pick up a couple of bits; a Roberts 606 MB in fab cosmetic condition but with some issues on MW & LW bands, however it works perfect on VHF so I will pop a post up about that later, however its currently providing a nice Radio 2 provided soundtrack.

My favourite item is the Roberts Rambler II from the BVWS stall, powered it up and it is awesome, I am gutted I did not go back after the talk to see if the other Rambler was there as did not expect these to be so good.

I also got a Valve Signal Generator which may get repaired or used for spares, a nice huge micro amp panel meter and a couple of hopefully useful books.

Thank you to everyone who put today on and I will be there again.
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 5:50 pm   #43
bobbyball
Octode

I made it, more or less on time, after a dash up from Staffordshire where I had been staying with a friend.

Keith's talk on power supply circuiry was excellent as we have come to expect and particularly pertinent to me at the moment as my current restoration project involves a re-build of the power circuits.

Didn't get too much chance to chat all that much to folk as I was in Keiths talk and by the time I came out the lads from Birmingham etc must have had to dash, so sorry I missed you.

Found a nice Philips AG1014 record deck in very good condition and with the quite rare magnetic (or "magneto-dymanic" as Philips liked to call them) pickup heads. It will replace one that I actually dropped!!

Roll on the next meeting!
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 8:09 pm   #44
gezza123
Heptode

What a great day I had at Golborne today.

First of all I would like to thank the forum member (Outrun_uk Kevin) for taking me to this exciting and well organised radio show, also thank you to the Organisers and the members /sellers.

I also met a few members with stalls, and purchased some very interesting items for me to play with.

Sorry if I missed some of you, and maybe I will catch up with you next time.
Thank you all.Gezza123
Old 2nd Nov 2014, 9:06 pm   #45
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: BVWS Golborne Meeting - November 2nd

Many thans it was a good day. Met several forum members. Luckily I was only 8 miles from where I am working this evening. Came away with 3 Avos and a nice 3 valve pantry transmitter. Got a bit too close to the stall selling transmitter and unusual valves and several of them followed me home!!! Didn't buy any radios today though was tempted by some on the BVWS stall. Also bought a 25KV AVO adaptor in a wooden box. Looking for somewhere to test it!!
Christopher Capener
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 9:16 am   #46
KeithsTV
Nonode

It was good to meet so many people at Golborne yesterday and to know that many had come for the talk. Yesterdays talk went on a little longer than I had planned but it seems to have been well received.

I've attached the notes which cover the talk plus a little extra.

I spoke to Mark about next year so all being well next years talk will be on Measurements and an Introduction to Fault Finding.

Many visitors to the April meet thought there was a talk but there is only a talk at the November meet. (One a year is enough as it takes me about that time to plan and write it).

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PSU Golborne demo 2014.pdf (1.12 MB, 623 views)
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 10:02 am   #47
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As we've come to expect, an excellent well-illustrated talk Keith, as are the comprehensive notes which accompany it. I think that fact that in a talk lasting the best part of two hours, only two people tiptoed out is testimony to your efforts! I hope this doesn't sound too much like an end of term report, but it's evident how much effort you put into preparation, writing up the content, setting up and dismantling the gear, and delivering the talk.

Oh, and there's the small matter of you still being in the 'world of work', which, for those such as myself - retired for twenty years - has become something of an abstract concept

Grateful thanks too, to Mark Ryding, ('Mark The Mender'), Chairman Mike Barker and the rest of the BVWS volunteers for all their hard work in organising and running the event - the only one in the North.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 10:40 am   #48
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

An excellent day out and good to chat with those I met there. Shame I missed a few of you, despite it being a smallish room!

My car was a bit lighter as I resisted buying anything apart from a few capacitors on the BVWS stall.

Apologies to the clearers-up having to skip the two B&O VHS machines; I didn't have the heart to euthanase them myself.
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 12:43 pm   #49
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It was a very enjoyable day especially as I finally got to meet Gezza and his driver Kev for the first time plus seeing Steve P, Mike P [he didn't miss me this time] Christopher C and identifying many others. As always, it was a reasonably sized event at a civilised pace...topped by Mike Barkers "closing down" radio sale at the end to lighten the BVWS load. Everyone seemed happy with the items we sold on and our policy of focussing on Books/Mags seemed to be welcomed again. Thanks to Mark for his hard work setting it all up.
Dave W
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 11:10 pm   #50
bikerhifinut
Octode

Thanks to all concerned, I had a very good day at my first swapmeet.
Thanks to Keiths lecture I now understand why we have to allow for a transformers current capacity to be uprated by 1.4x when full wave rectified, it all snapped into place. Worth it just for that as I will now be careful to make sure I use a sufficiently rated transformer in any future projects.
Thanks again everyone who made it fun, I just wish I'd had more time to browse the stalls.

Andy.
Old 4th Nov 2014, 12:22 am   #51
KeithsTV
Nonode

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I prefer to call it a talk rather than a lecture as a lecture sounds far too formal. Had enough lectures at university!

These talks are also an education to me as I have to find out the necessary information and try to understand it (that's the hard bit) then try to write it down. Although I find the hardest part is deciding on the subject for the talk so if anyone does have any ideas for post 2015 talks then let me know as I was struggling a bit for next one until it came to me in a sudden flash of inspiration.

Next years talk is also very environmentally friendly as I shall be recycling some of the 2012 test gear talk. I shall try to make it shorter to give you more time to spend your money at the stalls

Keith
Old 4th Nov 2014, 10:32 pm   #52
tis your junk
Pentode

Although I could not get to this meet I'd like to pass on my thanks to Keith for publishing the notes of his talk. The style of the presentation with the effective use of colour and the inclusion of actual photographs make it a very "easy read". Hope I get to one in the future! Regards Nick
Old 5th Nov 2014, 8:33 am   #53
stevekendal
Heptode

Another great day out, meeting friends old and new and thinning the "collection" a we bit though adding a few items as well! Many thanks to all who attended and organised.
Old 6th Nov 2014, 10:31 pm   #54
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Was a great day, myself and Gezza attended. Nice to meet a few people and managed to pick up some more items to clutter up my workshop!! Also purchased the Valveman DVD, a very enjoyable watch for those who haven't seen it. I will hopefully be visiting the museum at the end of this month
Old 7th Nov 2014, 10:19 am   #55
Mark James
Hexode

Belated thanks to Keith for an excellent talk, invaluable handout and for sending on the voltage regulator data sheets.

Mark
Old 17th Nov 2014, 8:14 pm   #56
Mikey405
Octode

I also had a brilliant time at Golborne. It was really nice to see so many pals up there, and I even came away with 2 1930s radios from Mike and Jim's huge stack - And I never buy radios (well, not AM ones anyway).

Many thanks for all involved in organising this event - it is definitely my favourite. It's always really nice to see the excellent display of old TVs too.

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 20th Nov 2014, 12:30 am   #57
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Golborne Meeting - November 2nd 2014

Sounds like a great event chaps, I really must try to get to this event somehow but it is so far from here down near Bournemouth.

Cheers