UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2017, 7:32 pm   #1
gram065
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker GP 42 low hum

Now I admit this could be me being anal but I've just being restoring a GP42 that I purchased at a local antiques fair. Mechanically everything has turned out fine and the original Acos 96 has been replaced with a BSR SC11M. I know the golden rule is not to trust a machine of this age before checking the amp but as there were signs of recent work represented by some capacitors and resistors being replaced I gave it a whirl. Everything seems to be working ok except for a very low hum from the speaker which increases slightly when the turntable is switched on by moving the front control lever to "Manual" on the turntable ( a Garrard 2025TC). Now I probably would have accepted this, (the hum level was so low) had it not been that my GP 15 Cavalier, which is also fitted with a BSR SC11M in the arm of a Garrard SP25, has no sign of such a hum. As I say everything is working ok with the exception of the low hum. Any ideas of the cause and also the increase in volume when the turntable is activated? I've put 3 photos along with this of the Cavalier and the Gondolier and pics of the GP42's amp in case anything is obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02975.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	141686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8829.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	141687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8854.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	141688  
Old 28th Apr 2017, 8:10 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hacker GP 42 low hum

There are two red electrolytics which appear to be the originals. Without the circuit diagram in front of me, I'm not sure which they are, but it may be worthwhile checking/changing these for the nearest eqivalent modern values.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 11:32 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Was the original Acos GP96 cartridge faulty then? I'm wondering whether swapping cartridges (and with those fiddly connectors) might have caused this as the BSR SC11M is not an elegant fit to the narrow Garrard tone arm head. Check the deck earthing as well.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 6:14 pm   #4
gram065
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the response Livewire. This afternoon I swapped the turntables between the Cavalier and the Gondolier...no problem with either of them?? Swapped them back and there's no sign of a problem. I wondered if it was an earthing/contact problem on the deck. Whatever, it's not there now but will bear your suggestion in mind. Thanks again for your response.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 10:23 pm   #5
gram065
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Edward...sorry I must have missed your post earlier. The 96 was still functional but I'd had such good results with the 11 on my Cavalier I decided to swap it out. Yes the connection of the SC11M was fiddly. I opted to adapt the 96's mount. See photos. This held it secure and worked. In swapping the decks to see if I could identify where the problem lay the hum disappeared so I assume there was an earth prob somewhere..now rectified. Thanks for your post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8891.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	141760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8892.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	141761  
Old 30th Apr 2017, 12:46 am   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

I repaired a couple of GP42s recently and I recall that the cartridge connection tag strip under the deck (which looked absolutely fine!) was nevertheless the source of a mild earth hum. So tighten, re-solder etc if it happens again.
Old 30th Apr 2017, 7:02 am   #7
gram065
Retired Dormant Member

It was that very tag strip that I suspected. Thanks for your post.
Closed Thread