UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2017, 3:36 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Philips CD100 / Marantz CD63 capacitor access

I have started to investigate what is wrong with my CD63, and as in this thread the volts around the LM337 are very low. The 100uF electrolytic 2291 is looking distinctly bulged so it is a prime candidate for replacement.

However, access is very difficult because the aluminium chassis is in the way. It's not possible to remove the PCB from the chassis without unscrewing all the voltage regulators from the heatsink, which is part of the chassis. I think I can manage to change the cap as things are but it will be a very fiddly job. Should I just press on, or have I missed something obvious when dismantling?
Old 17th Apr 2017, 4:20 pm   #2
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: Philips CD100 / Marantz CD63 capacitor access

Hi Paul - not sure it'll help much - but I assume you have the service manual ?
If not, it's on Elektrotanya (Philips CD100), and shows a bit about dismantling / accessing the various areas - albeit in German... not sure if it covers what you need, but maybe worth a look.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 10:55 pm   #3
ronbryan
Octode

I think that the finned heat-sink disconnects from a thick alumininm plate to which the regulators are bolted. The black heat sink is fixed to the plate with a couple of screws at the rear of the case. There is no need to unbolt the individual regulators, although they may need re-soldering due to cracked joints.

My recollection of dismantling the CD100 is poor, but I have a photo of one I fixed a long time ago for Howard, showing the servo board having been removed from the chassis, which may help with the dismantling. The mains transformer connections unplug, I think, then the pcb can be removed after taking out a number of fixing screws around its periphery.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Servo-pcb_web.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	141140  

Last edited by ronbryan; 17th Apr 2017 at 11:00 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 11:20 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Thanks for that Ron, I remembered that you'd worked on these so hoped you'd comment. The photo is a big help. Are the red electrolytics the ones that you changed?
Old 18th Apr 2017, 9:26 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

The red caps were the 'upgrade' to the power supply Marantz to set it apart from the bog standard Philips. Of course they will still go faulty at some stage.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 11:13 am   #6
paulsherwin

No, the photo is a CD100. My CD63 has bog standard blue Philips caps throughout, which is why I thought Ron may have changed them. I was wondering what his reasoning was, and whether they had tested bad or just been changed as preventative maintenance.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 11:32 am   #7
ronbryan
Octode

I would first change C2290 and C2291, both 100uF, which are used to derive the -18V supply in a voltage doubler circuit. They seem to have a hard life in that circuit.

I can't remember their position on the circuit board, but the layout diagram will show them if your pcb is not silk screened with component identification.

Ron
Old 18th Apr 2017, 12:20 pm   #8
paulsherwin

C2291 is below the big blue cap on the top right of your photo. Presumably 2290 is adjacent, but it's hidden by the chassis until I get the PCB out.
Old 18th Apr 2017, 2:43 pm   #9
ronbryan
Octode

Paul

I've attched a couple of photos of the CD100/CD63 dismantling instructions - this is the best I can do at present concerning the image quality.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cd100-dismantle-1_web.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	141162   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD100-dismantle-2_web.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	141163  
Old 18th Apr 2017, 2:47 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Thanks Ron. It's just separating the regulator heatsink from the chassis that I didn't understand. I think I have enough info to proceed now.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 3:03 pm   #11
paulsherwin

The good news is that I successfully removed the PCB and changed the caps. C2291 had indeed dropped to 48uF. The bad news is that this hasn't cleared the fault. I now think there is a mechanical problem with the mech, as there is a faint mechanical noise as the CD tries to spin up, a bit like a slipping idler wheel, though the turntable feels free to move. I hope the spindle motor isn't knackered.

I will delve into the CDM0 innards and see what I can find, and start another thread if appropriate. Thanks to all who provided info in this thread.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 4:46 pm   #12
vidjoman
Dekatron

Paul said "there is a faint mechanical noise as the CD tries to spin up, a bit like a slipping idler wheel, though the turntable feels free to move. I hope the spindle motor isn't knackered."
Could be a slippage between the TT and the disc due to a loose disc clamp. Might also be the motor but that is usually cured by a drop of lubricant.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 4:53 pm   #13
paulsherwin

No, it's not that. It has now started working normally after being powered up for an hour - great, not only an obscure fault but intermittent as well Googling finds a few people with similar symptoms but no real solutions, just vague references to the spindle motor and bearing. Apparently there are one or more electrolytics on the servo board so I suppose that's the first thing to check.

I'll leave it powered off overnight and see if the fault returns tomorrow.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 10:56 am   #14
paulsherwin

The fault is still absent after 12 hours without power, so maybe a marginal cap has reformed somewhere. I'll return the player to use (it's part of the office system) and see what happens.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 3:31 pm   #15
ronbryan
Octode

Did you have time to check for cracked joints on the 3 terminal regulators?

Leon always maintains that they fatigue because there is no allowance for thermal expansion in the connection between the pcb and the chassis, due to the rigid fixing to the finned heat-sink.

Ron
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 4:34 pm   #16
paulsherwin

I did look and couldn't see anything wrong with them, but I didn't actually remake the joints. I will do so next time I have the covers off.
Closed Thread