UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2004, 10:46 am   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Equipment sitting on top of Equipment

Running out of space, wondered what member’s views were of Equipment/Receivers being put on top of other Equipment/Receivers. Have seen pictures where it looks OK and quite good, but apart from the weight problems am always worried about damaging/scratching problems.
Paul E
Old 30th Oct 2004, 11:17 am   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Equipment sitting on top of Equipment

I guess it would be a good idea to put something between the equipment like a piece of cardboard cut to size : to give some protection to the cabinets provided as you say it will take the weight

Mike
Old 30th Oct 2004, 11:54 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Be careful of any sets that rely on airflow through the bottom of the cabinet. They will need a gap for ventilation. Also only operate one radio at a time to prevent overheating problems.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 11:58 am   #4
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Suppose I would have to watch out for the ventilation of the radios etc. If only I knew how many receivers (or had heard of Ebay before setting up my Wireless room!!) I was going to collect, would have designed my room differently, but a bit too late now. Just received a Geloso G. 209 receiver!! A lot of work needed, but looks a nice set.
Paul E
Old 30th Oct 2004, 12:32 pm   #5
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

It kind of depends on the equipment and receivers. Sound conventional wall shelves are fine for domestic receivers.

I assume you are talking about boatanchors and scopes etc.

Some of my boatanchors are stacked, but it's a matter of the strength , condition and value of the set on the bottom. I don't stack more than three high., and of course, the lighter items go on top.

I've used pieces of hardboard to separate sets, as another poster suggested..

One of the most useful fhings I've ever come by is some Dexion shelving.

Very sturdy, very versatile , and a 5' x 1'6 x 3'6 rack holds a phenomenal amount of stuff. No ventilation problems if you want to fire something up.

The only problem with Dexion and similar racking systems is that they're expensive.

Pete.

Old 30th Oct 2004, 12:52 pm   #6
wireless_paul
Hexode

Pete.
Yes I do have some Dexion sitting on top of a stone table, which takes quite a bit of equipment. Believe unfortunately that Dexion is no more and has gone out of business. I have a mixture of Eddystone, Drake, KW, RCA and GEC Receivers and a fair amount of test equipment including a Tektronix 545A Oscilloscope, which unfortunately is all rather large and heavy!!
Paul E
Old 30th Oct 2004, 12:53 pm   #7
Station X

It was said that some Radio Amateurs would say "Welcome to my shack. Pull up an AR88 and sit down". I reckon that you could stand on an AR88 without doing it any harm.

Boat Anchors usually have 4 rubber feet on the bottom and all the weight is concentrated on these points. For this reason I would suggest that something more substantial than cardboard or hardboard be used between sets. Melamine faced chip board is suitable and can be got free from skips when people are having new kitchens installed. The white colour doesn't go too well with black or drab olive though, so 10mm plywood may be better.

As other members have said keep the heavy items at the bottom and allow for ventilation. Make sure the whole stack is stable and isn't likely to fall over.

Finally don't forget about floor loading. Many modern floors are made from chipboard and will crack if you concentrate weight between the joists. Loads should span the joists and be kept close to the walls.

Dexion is often thrown out when shop stockooms or warehouses are being refitted or demolished. You just have to keep your eyes open to spot it before it's skipped.

Graham

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:44 pm.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 1:19 pm   #8
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I think this is pretty well a judgement call. You just have to make up your mind about the strength, stability , likelihood of damage , etc.

They're not called boatanchors for nothing.

The AR88 is particular rupture material and the problem with the little feet on a lot of sets is that they perish and leave scratchy screws bare.

Quote:
Finally don't forget about floor loading. Many modern floors are made from chipboard and will crack if you concentrate weight between the joists. Loads should span the joists and be kept close to the walls.
Yes, the weight and pressure on a floor which can be built up is enormous. If the floor failed..........

Quote:
Dexion is often thrown out when shop stockooms or warehouses are being refitted or demolished.

That's how I got mine. Saw it in the skip and pounced. Sometimes it comes up at salvage places, but it tends to be pricey. Never pass a skip without at least a glance.

However, even with Dexion , you have to load it sensibly and make sure it can't topple.

Pete.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 2:29 pm   #9
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Given my lack of space I can't avoid stacking receivers, and the problems of scratching and stability are always a consideration. Where possible, I try to re-use parts of old rubber floormats from cars, cut down to size for the sets in question. The rubber provides a firm base for a set placed on top of another, and keeps the feet from scratching the set underneath.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 2:58 pm   #10
wireless_paul
Hexode

Pete.
Yes I always do look at skips, much to the annoyance of the wife, when I walk past one!!! I suppose I was envisaging moving a piece of equipment off another in a few years’ time and finding it had been permanently marked. Do any items "react" with each other like rubber feet, paints, hardboards etc?? Mind you why I am bothering so much I dont know, it's not as if I will ever be selling any of it??
Paul E

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:46 pm.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 5:54 pm   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Rubber feet are notorious for marking all sorts of things.

PVC and polystyrene should be kept apart. The plasticiser in PVC dissolves polystyrene and the PVC goes hard. This is particularly relevant to PVC insulated domestic wiring and polystyrene thermal insulation. I have a polystyrene drawer full of PVC grommets. The inside of the drawer is badly pockmarked.
Old 30th Oct 2004, 6:30 pm   #12
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I find old computer mouse mats cut into strips or squares make ideal "feet" for equipment when stacking is unavoidable. Even new mouse mats are only 50p at computer fairs, . Worth checking your local £1 shop, The "99p shop" at Dartford do packs of self adhesive felt pads which are useful. As for mains leads, I've seen many plastic record player turntables ruined because someone has coiled the lead on top , and the two plastics have reacted.. .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:51 pm. Reason: Import
Old 30th Oct 2004, 7:09 pm   #13
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

It is always worth looking out for scrap 19" cabinets - I have acquired several over the years. You can then install your equipment in the rack without worrying about ventilation, the original outer cases can then be stored safely in the loft. In the case of equipment that is not designed for rack mounting, I find modem shelves to be very useful, as they are designed to allow the mounting of non standard units withtin cabinets.

Jim.

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Import
Old 31st Oct 2004, 12:09 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

The DIY chains sell relatively cheap shelving, both metal & wood, which can be used. It's not that cheap, especially if you have been lucky in acquiring sets at good prices, but with a bit of planning not too much height will be wasted and they all sit on a shelf. Width can be limited for the real monsters though. The Ikea ones are not as bulky if you can stand the crush & car park mayhem. Make sure that the top is fastened to the wall.
I know mouse mats are quite cheap, but I've got a few odd ones if anyone wants one for the price of a stamp.

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:55 pm. Reason: Import
Old 31st Oct 2004, 6:16 pm   #15
joe
Rest in Peace

I think that the postings in this thread have covered it all.

Rubber feet may not scratch, but they do leave marks which often cannot be removed; If you run one set on top of another be wary of ventilation being restricted;
A material such as cardboard should prevent one set scratching the one beneath it; And be sure that the one at the bottom is strong enough to support those above it.

As for the shelving itself I can speak from very recent experience, in fact I'm still re-doing all the shelving in the garage. Melamine faced chipboard is not expensive, but its also not very strong and needs supporting at frequent intervals; blockboard is stronger but dearer.
The brackets will probably cost more than the wood, but I'd suggest going for the type where you have a U-channel full of slots screwed into the wall and the brackets fit into the slots. This way you can reposition the shelves without recourse to any civil engineering project.

Oh, and the safest place for boatanchors is the floor! (assuming that its concrete) I only have one, a CR100 & that's a lightweight at a mere 88lb

Joe

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 1:57 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2004, 10:31 am   #16
RobinBirch
Hexode

Hi,
I have successfully used IKEA's wooden shelving for a number of years. It is modular and can be adjusted to any particular height. It is fairly strong (I have recently had one set up with an AR88 and an RA17 on the same shelf, about 170lbs, and a B40 on another, about 100 lbs, and they happily staryed there for years.

Its one downside is that it isn't cheap.

However, as it is wood it doesn't tend to damage things.

Closed Thread