UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:07 pm   #1
Lewisaunders
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig Radio (Unknown Model). Requesting Assistance.

Hi there,

New member. Signed up today seeking guidance. I saw that this website had already answered a plethora of Grundig related enquiries, and thought this would be the best forum. Excuse me ahead of time for any T&C violations; I read them briefly and hope I follow etiquette.

I recently purchased a vintage Grundig radio from a charity shop (pictures added for all to see, I hope). I spotted it in the window as I walked past, and it immediately caught my eye. There was just something so striking about it; it has echoes of a bygone era and yet still boasted a contemporary aesthetic. Vintage modern?

I have no idea. I liked the look of it, and the shop were as clueless as I was regarding model/worth. So for the princely sum of £50, I left with an absolutely impulsive and unnecessary buy. It’s for this reason I love, and would equally be useless at, Bargain Hunt.

I had tried to do some homework before buying, but couldn’t find the specific model anywhere. There were so many that looked similar, but for differing reasons were all unique. The gentleman selling it attested to having tried it out; it appeared to work though the signal wasn’t great. He added that this was perhaps down to the poor reception he had in the back room.

Regardless, it now sits on my dining room table, looking great in my opinion, but ultimately useless until I can get more information.

This is where you wonderful people come in. It would be superb if somebody could confirm:
  • Make/model
  • Is there an online manual
  • Its features (as there seems to be a lot of configurations here)
  • Perhaps some history, as the idea of owning a vintage piece of kit 30/40 years old captivates me far more than it should
  • And most importantly; what do I tell my partner when she comes home from work and sees I’ve purchased a completely unnecessary vintage radio, which is sitting on the dining table meaning we’re eating off our laps tonight...

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lewis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9AD95C3-80B0-44E4-B7F9-47D916BB01EF.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	188650   Click image for larger version

Name:	C54427F7-478C-4736-A861-4A33D399DE35.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	188651   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4426E6E-D78D-44C0-BB79-01BE90ED587F.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	188652   Click image for larger version

Name:	6455144D-181D-4F13-85AB-F7DCB204BB42.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	188653  

Last edited by Lewisaunders; 20th Aug 2019 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:27 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Grundig Radio (Unknown Model). Requesting Assistance.

Welcome Lewis.

Handsome radio. There should be a model number on the back somewhere.

What is your level of expertise?
Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:33 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think the 'HF35L' on the back (shown in the last photo) is the model number. So far I've been unable to find a service manual for it though.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:44 pm   #4
Lewisaunders
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Welcome Lewis.

Handsome radio. There should be a model number on the back somewhere.

What is your level of expertise?
Thanks Paul. The closest thing I could find resembling a model number is the image attached.

As for expertise; out of 10 you could place me between 0 and 1. I wouldn’t even call me amateur, sorry. You probably loath the number of people like me clogging up your forums, so I will try to be as detailed as I can be with my limited understanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9E12F02-E5FC-4D77-95F6-7FB5F8FA9A0A.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	188663  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:47 pm   #5
Lewisaunders
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I think the 'HF35L' on the back (shown in the last photo) is the model number. So far I've been unable to find a service manual for it though.
Thanks Tony! I will use this as a lead, and see what I can dig up.

There were so many words on this unit that could be construed as a model name/number.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 6:57 pm   #6
paulsherwin

You are very welcome here, but it helps members to give appropriate advice if we know your level of knowledge. This is (mostly) a friendly place and you should find plenty of help.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 7:03 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

A schematic that might do ?:

https://www.doctsf.com/documents/aff...7011&num_fic=1

There's also one that's a bit clearer at vintageshifi

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Aug 2019 at 7:26 pm.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 8:46 pm   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Lewis, Welcome to the forum. You look to have a nice radio there. Please do not plug it in until certain cheap components have been changed. The set is around 57 years old, you would not get into a 40 year old barn find car and expect drive it without checking or changing oil checking tyres!
From the circuit above it is not easy to make out what needs changing / checking. C104 and C106 and C102/3 and I would expect the bridge rectifier to be failing by now.
I hope you can find someone in your area to help you as it may be difficult for us to help you without a component layout that we are use to.
You will have a usable set when restored as it has an FM waveband but only goes up to 104MHz so some stations will not be receivable. Modern sets receive up to 108MHz

Good luck with it, John.

PS I hope the introduction to your partner went well.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 20th Aug 2019 at 8:55 pm.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 8:49 pm   #9
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

That looks a very nice looking set. i don't know the model, but I would date it as between 1965-1970 manufacture.
The "FM Stereo" on the front suggests it COULD be a stereo model, but I suggest it may need an extra plug in decoder. (circuit not clear enough for me to see), but there is a socket which may well be for such a decoder. I suspect the EM87 would be an EMM808 (?) if it were supplied with built in stereo decoder. The output valve (ECLL800) is no the most reliable, and replacements will be v. expensive if needed.
Good luck, Les.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 20th Aug 2019 at 8:50 pm. Reason: correct valve number.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 7:33 am   #10
Werner
Triode

Perhaps this helps:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundi...pfangst_4.html

Greetings from Germany,

Werner
Old 21st Aug 2019, 7:39 am   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There seems to be a socket labelled 'stereo decoder' on the position-of-valves diagram on the back of the set. It appears to be a B9A type thing from the circuit diagram.

The photos of the set on the radiomuseum site show an extra chassis with a couple of valves screwed to the back. I suspect that is the original stereo decoder and the set mentioned in this thread doesn't have it.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 7:39 am   #12
rojosuiza
Tetrode

The whole series explained:

http://www.hifimuseum.de/grundig-bausteine-1965.html
Old 21st Aug 2019, 9:40 am   #13
paulsherwin

To summarise, you have bought a rather complex valve hifi receiver from 1965. The best way forward if you actually want to use it is probably to hand it over to a professional for investigation and a service. Once restored it will make the centrepiece of a stylsh, interesting and high quality hifi system, but may be high maintenance.

You will probably want to source the appropriate stereo decoder for the radio, or at least have a third party decoder fitted. There was no stereo FM in Britain in 1965 so the decoder wouldn't have been needed.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 10:06 am   #14
simpsons
Octode

This receiver design by Grundig is just another illustration, if one was needed, of just how years ahead of the game European manufacturers were and still are in meeting the demands of technically advanced domestic markets.

Whilst the Bush SRG106 electronics may well have been designed along similar lines, with its push pull output, the Grundig's all bells and whistles approach with stereo radio, sockets for everything, plus press buttons to match and, in its radiogram form a "must have look," must have turned a few heads.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 10:22 am   #15
turretslug
Dekatron

Hi Lewis and welcome.

That's a rather nice radio you've got there and despite the fact that much of the population instinctively deride anything so old as to have valves in it, it will still be capable of credible performance when up to spec. Unfortunately, as others have said, it's quite a complex set and needs a degree of skill to make sure it is performing properly. There's an almost standard set of a few inexpensive components that need replacing pretty much as a matter of course with valve radios in order to safeguard much more expensive and difficult to obtain parts. As mentioned, the ECLL800 valves are scarce and expensive and will have their lives shortened if the surrounding circuitry isn't 100% and their associated speaker matching transformers are also vulnerable and will be very difficult to find replacements for. As always, there are work-arounds but they involve time, knowledge and skill.

Sorry if that all sounds a little negative- it's not meant to be, just realistic. I'm sure that many here would concur with me that it's both a rather good radio and a classy piece of furniture.

Good luck with it,

Colin
Old 26th Aug 2019, 5:36 pm   #16
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorBikeLes View Post
That looks a very nice looking set. i don't know the model, but I would date it as between 1965-1970 manufacture.
The "FM Stereo" on the front suggests it COULD be a stereo model, but I suggest it may need an extra plug in decoder. (circuit not clear enough for me to see), but there is a socket which may well be for such a decoder. I suspect the EM87 would be an EMM808 (?) if it were supplied with built in stereo decoder. The output valve (ECLL800) is no the most reliable, and replacements will be v. expensive if needed.
Good luck, Les.
The ECLL800 valve is not the most reliable! An understatement of the year!
Those valves were so bad that Grundig and others would include a spare packed with the new set. The design is interesting, but is like 20 LBS of dirt in a 10 LB bag.
I did like the ELL80, double penthode. Some US firms used it for low power applications. Dave, USradcoll1
Old 26th Aug 2019, 11:02 pm   #17
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Not relevant here, but at least one German manufacturer (Korting) supplied an adapter a bit like a "double egg cup" such that two pentodes (EL95 I think) that plugged into the ELL80 socket, which I found not the most reliable, making a good repair procedure.
I modified my own NordeMende "Parsifal" by rewiring the bases of the ECC808 and the ELL80 so that each could be replaced by an ECL86, thus dispensing with the low emission ELL80.
That ECLL800 is a rather more tricky one with which to deal.
Les.
Closed Thread