UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2006, 1:37 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Checking Resistor values

Hi All,

A really simple question, this, in fact I hesitate to ask!

When reading posts about repairs, success stories etc I often see references to resistor values and their being way off. How exactly do you test these? I always assumed that one end of the resistor would need to be disconnected so that the rest of the set wouldn't interfere with the reading and so I rarely check the values.

Is this right or can I check with the resistor in situ?

There - I said it was simple!

Thanks

Paul
Old 26th Feb 2006, 2:44 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Resistor values

In most cases you can check the value with the resistor in place. It does depend on the circuit though.

Paul
Old 26th Feb 2006, 3:36 pm   #3
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Make sure there are no residual voltages with the volts range ot the meter. There are several reasons for this; safety, they would upset a resistance reading, they might damage your meter on the ohms range.

Look at the circuit diagram and get an idea of the likely loading effect of any other components in parallel. Very often it's either infinite e.g. with anode load resistors, or is so high in comparison with the resistor you are interested in that it can be ignored.

If the resistor does appear to be critical and there are other components which interfere with the reading substantially, either desolder one end or find another connection you can break to get a better reading.

Generally, the tolerances of resistors in valve equipment were either +/- 10% or +/- 20% when they were new, and are not critical. Carbon composition resistors almost always increase in value with age.

Pete.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 4:06 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

Right, Thanks for your replies. I will look a bit more closely at the resistors in future.

Paul
Old 26th Feb 2006, 4:19 pm   #5
Station X

One other thing to watch out for is that really leaky capacitors will sometimes shunt resistors and result in a low reading. I say "really" leaky because most leakage won't show up on a meter using just a 1.5V battery. Generally a much higher voltage is necessary to break down the paper insulation.

I change all paper capacitors anyway and while I've got them disconnected check the value of any associated resistors. If for example a screen decoupling capacitor leaks it will draw extra current through the dropper resistor, possibly overloading it and changing its value.

Carbon composition resistors are apt to change their value quite a lot and may change their value when current flows through them and heats them up. For this reason I tend to check their values after soak testing the radio for an hour or two.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.

Last edited by Station X; 26th Feb 2006 at 9:24 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 10:33 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Since the original tolerance is normally +/- 20%, I think most people replace resistors that are more than 25% away from the marked value.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:23 pm   #7
PaulR
Dekatron

Thanks once again all for the information.

Paul
Closed Thread