UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2005, 12:24 am   #1
paulsherwin

Default Using X2 caps as capacitive droppers

I realized today that I have quite a few X2 rated caps scavenged from old switch mode PSUs etc. Some of these are quite big values - there are lots of 0.47uFs and at least one 1uF. Can anybody think of a reason not to use these as capacitive heater droppers, rather than the traditional motor run caps? They're generally rated 250VAC.

TIA, Paul
Old 31st Aug 2005, 10:50 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Using X2 caps as capacitive droppers

I think they are ideal for it. As you say, they are continuously rated for mains voltage a/c.
Old 31st Aug 2005, 11:14 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Paul, yes I added them in parallel with a motor run cap to give me the exact value needed

David
Old 31st Aug 2005, 12:19 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Paul, when I wrote an article for Radiophile many years ago on capacitive droppers these were the only types available. They work very well and are available in a range of values. Additionally they are self healing so do not fail to an S/C (athough they will allow a surge throgh) so are better than a motor run cap which usually has a fuse inside and can let a lot more energy through to your precious set.

Ed
Old 31st Aug 2005, 11:00 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I can see no problems using X2 caps. The main reason why I tend to recommend motor caps is that they are available in higher values than X2 types (you often need between 1uF and 2uF).

As Dave mentioned, X2 caps are useful to add in parallel with a motor cap to achieve the correct value. The yellow 1000V polyprop ones should be fine too.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread