UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2006, 10:43 pm   #1
jbraes
Triode

Unhappy Class x suppressor capacitor

(Note from archivist; although this thread refers to a specific make/model of radio, the advice given re class X mains filter caps applies generally ).

I am restoring a Stella ST239U radio and would like to replace the capacitor across the mains input with a class X. The service sheet, for some reason, does not show the value of C66 in the capacitor list. Can any of you smart radio wise cookies out there, tell me what value this capacitor should be?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:01 pm. Reason: Note added and title made more specific.
Old 15th Feb 2006, 10:51 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Class x suppressor capacitor

I don't have a circuit for this radio but the capacitor value isn't critical - you can use whatever you have in the junk box in the 0.01uF-0.1uF range. The smallest value should suppress modulation hum, and the largest value won't suppress the sort of mains borne crud produced by bad switch mode power supplies etc.

Best regards, Paul
Old 15th Feb 2006, 10:55 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Class x suppressor capacitor

I usually use 0.047uF. It's a typical value used and I don't want to keep several different Class X caps in stock.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread