UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2006, 12:35 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Class X2 and Y2 (X1) Capacitors; uses of.

Hi,

What is the difference between Class X2 and Y2 (X1) capacitors .

I need to stock up on some caps for mains RF bypass use and some to make capacitor droppers. Which type would be best suited for these positions?

Thanks
David
Old 4th Feb 2006, 1:06 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Class X2 and Y2 (X1) Capacitors

Class X are rated for use with mains across them. Typically between live and neutral.

Class Y are rated for mains across them where failure would cause a direct shock hazard. Typically between live and earth. They come in rather smaller values than class X.

For capacitative droppers use class X (any number after the X is OK). Also power factor correction caps from fluorescent lights which you can often acquire for nothing from scrap fittings.

For mains bypass class X is fine too.
Old 4th Feb 2006, 1:07 pm   #3
paulsherwin

There was a relevant thread some time ago (doesn't precisely answer your question though): https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=4636

I once found an excellent site describing all the different X and Y ratings and their meanings, but I can't find it now X2 should be fine for a dropper (though I'm a diode man myself )

Best regards, Paul
Old 4th Feb 2006, 1:32 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Class Y are rated for mains across them where failure would cause a direct shock hazard. Typically between live and earth.
So I guess Class Y should be used between an earth socket and the chasis of an AC/DC set?

Thanks
David
Old 4th Feb 2006, 1:41 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Strictly speaking, yes, though I must admit I don't always bother. It's pretty much impossible to bring an AC/DC valve set into line with modern safety standards.

In fact modern plastic film caps will self heal anyway, so although not formally X/Y rated they should provide full protection - unlike the old waxie that would have been there before!

Best regards, Paul
Closed Thread