UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2005, 5:19 pm   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default What is this valve-like object?

Can anyone identify this valve-like object? It has an air-ministry part number of 10FB/977 and has a B4 base.

It perhaps looks like a thermal relay. It is evacuated. I have shown it in three orientations so you can see it better. One side has fine wires wound up and down round ceramic spacers. There is a spring right at the top.

It measures 160 ohms across what would normally be the heater pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10FB-977.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	687  
Old 16th May 2005, 5:38 pm   #2
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: What is this valve-like object?

Here's a link to a site where the device gets a mention, perhaps the person running this valve-related site could advise further?

http://www.rabeng.co.uk/radio/valves.htm

Unless of course the owner of the site is also reading this and doesn't know either!
Old 16th May 2005, 5:41 pm   #3
Gordon
Pentode

Possibly a time-delay relay to delay the ht from being applied - operated by a bi-metal strip. That's only a guess!

Gordon.
Old 16th May 2005, 8:43 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I can well believe Gordon. A heating element plus what could easily be a bi-metal strip.
Old 16th May 2005, 10:18 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I have a couple of high sensitivity relays with similar internal construstion (I believe they are from furnace control systems). They have a heating element which trips a contact when it passes a certain current, one of mine is marked as 36.45mA, giving some idea of the sensitivity.

Jim.
Old 17th May 2005, 9:57 am   #6
GMB
Dekatron

I am fairly sure that it doesn't contain a bi-metal strip. The metal strips are solid. What you might not be able to see is that both sides of the strip nearest to the wires and the outer side of the other strip are covered by mica sheets. Any contacts that it may have are open-circuit in the ground state.
Old 17th May 2005, 11:24 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

10FB was the reference code given to the starting switchgear for radar equipment by the MoD, or Air Ministry as it was called at the time. If this explains this device, presumably the 977 was the component code.
Old 17th May 2005, 7:24 pm   #8
Gordon
Pentode

If you have a lab power supply, any chance of putting a voltage across the 'heater' to see what happens? I would try 6V to start with.

Gordon.
Old 18th May 2005, 5:01 pm   #9
GMB
Dekatron

I have applied to up 20V with no visible effect at all.
Old 12th Aug 2005, 9:31 am   #10
GMB
Dekatron

UPDATE
I applied a lot more power to it and as the wires began to glow I noticed that they were collapsing. So I let it cool down and banged in a few times. It was jammed, and now it works: it takes only about 4.5V (no visible glow) to close the contacts, i.e. about 30mA and there is almost no visible movement doing this.
The on-time gets faster with applied voltage and is quite quick (<1sec) but the time to switch off is much longer, several seconds.

Obviously not reliable unless 4 Merlin engines are attached to the chassis nearby.
Old 15th Aug 2005, 10:45 am   #11
newlite4
Octode

This is a "Sun-Vic" vacuum switch. It is a thermostatic element with an accellerator heater within a vacuum to preserve the contacts. They were patented in the 1930s and were used mainly for heating systems.
Neil
Old 15th Aug 2005, 11:34 am   #12
GMB
Dekatron

Thanks for that clue Neil. The heater isn't quite an accelerator as it is the only thermal input to the device, i.e. it isn't a thermostatic device itself (being entirely evacuated) but is indeed a vacuum relay of a type used in conjunction with thermstats. Your clue led me to this link: http://www.redremote.co.uk/electricstuff/glassbits.html about half way down this page you will find "Sunco 'Sun-Vic' Vacuum switch contactors" and there is a different device obviously made by the same manufacturer.
So now the remaining question is what this particular device was used for, given its Air Ministry part number, and the fact that it came from a government physics laboratory?
Old 15th Aug 2005, 12:18 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I've seen them used as starters for discharge lamps, usually the type that gave a very pure spectrum for optical experiments. Sometimes used for mercury vapour rectifiers in professional test equipment.

Ed
Closed Thread