UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2005, 8:00 pm   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Battery dimensions - help wanted for museum

I've recieved a request for assistance from the assistant curator at RAF Henlow signals museum. I can't help: can you? He requests:

"I want to make up HT and GB batteries for use in radio & test equipment from the 20's & 30's for the Signals Museum here at RAF Henlow.
Please can you tell me the physical dimensions (L x W x H ) of the 120v & 60v HT batteries and the 10.5v & 4.5v GB batteries.
It may not mean anything to you but they were service issue types and had stock numbers as follows:
5A/1333 & 5A/1615 120v HT - I think this was the standard HT battery (nominally 10" x 6" ) but would like actual dimensions.
5A/1334 60v HT

5A/1878 10.5v GB

5A/1383 4.5v GB "

Any answers appreciated, either on this topic or as PMs.
-Tony
Old 25th Jul 2005, 1:45 pm   #2
Cyclingbill
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Battery dimensions - help wanted for museum

I saw one of these batteries a few months ago at Brooklands. It was in one of the hangers in a small hut and there was an A1134 amplifier with it. I want to visit again and will try to get there in the next couple of weeks. The HT batteries had vaious tappings one of which was 60V. Some batties had the grid bias battery buit-in. I am fairly certain it grid bias batteries were 9V and tapped at every 1.5V. There is a vintage radio museum just of the A303 at Montacute which contains many battery driven radios.
Old 25th Jul 2005, 4:48 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tony, I believe there was abattery collector in the Milton Keynes area, I'll see if I can find his details and post them to you next week.

Best regards, Ed
Old 25th Jul 2005, 9:18 pm   #4
Cyclingbill
Retired Dormant Member

Look at this link for dimensions http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radcon...961/batts2.jpg
Bill
Old 26th Jul 2005, 9:52 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I have an R1116 which used a 10.5V grid bias. I have been wondering what it looked like - but I think I may be able to deduce its dimensions from the size of the hole. PM me if this would help.
Old 26th Jul 2005, 1:37 pm   #6
Brased
Hexode

Radio Bygones No.52 has an article on the restoration of an R1116 by T R Sanderson. He made a replacement 10.5 volt grid bias battery and fitted a label made after he was able to photograph an AM battery (Ref No. 5J/1878) at the Yorkshire Air Museum. The problem is that in his photograph of his R1116 with the battery in position the label shows a 10.5 volt battery but the tappings only appear to go to 9 volts.

My own R1116A has the space for the battery at the side of the chassis but no clip holder to hold it. I would like to reproduce the correct battery and clip if someone has one I could measure and photograph. The space on the chassis is somewhat longer than than the 9 volt grid bias battery as specified in the Home Radio catalogue (from the link provided by Cyclingbill above) which I assume is the standard unit which I remember from its use in the school physics lab at about that time.

Edward
Old 26th Jul 2005, 7:45 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
I would like to reproduce the correct battery and clip if someone has one I could measure and photograph.
OK, I'll dig mine out and measure it up - I do have the mounting clip I think.
Old 26th Jul 2005, 9:30 pm   #8
GMB
Dekatron

OK, my estimate of the 10.5V GB battery dimensions is 150.0x24.5x65mm, or rather that is the hole into which it must fit so presumably slightly smaller. The height is somewhat problematical as the battery is held down by a soft strap so there is some scope for variation. See picture.

To Brased, if this is what you want to know about then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you more photos and a detailed drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1136  
Old 27th Jul 2005, 10:06 am   #9
Brased
Hexode

Thanks GMB. That would be most useful. My receiver has the base strip with four threaded bushes which correspond in position to the countersunk screws in your photograph. Evidently the clip has been removed at some time.

I have sent you a PM.

Edward
Closed Thread