UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2022, 8:27 am   #41
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

Default Re: Big old Murphy A170 radio to restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
Possibly the remains of a mica capacitor?
Ebay link for picture viewing only - not a purchase suggestion (your cap value unknown):-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334146156295
This looks like it would have been it.

I have got a ceramic to go in its place, I assume this will do the job.
Old 31st May 2022, 4:58 pm   #42
Rich Woods
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasedMonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Woods View Post
Have got two original Murphy knobs with the original lettering on them for Volume & Tuner but otherwise identical. PM Me with your details & I’m happy to post them to you if they are any use.
PM Sent.

Many thanks indeed.
No problem at all, glad I could help.
Old 31st May 2022, 5:31 pm   #43
ms660
Dekatron

Looks like a missing 470pF (IF filter/rejector) If it's not a Dublin made one.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 31st May 2022 at 5:58 pm. Reason: extra info
Old 1st Jun 2022, 1:56 pm   #44
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasedMonkey View Post
Quote:
Have got two original Murphy knobs with the original lettering on them for Volume & Tuner but otherwise identical. PM Me with your details & I’m happy to post them to you if they are any use.
PM Sent.

Many thanks indeed.
No problem at all, glad I could help.
The knobs have just arrived safe and sound thanks.
Old 6th Jun 2022, 9:59 am   #45
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

I managed to get a little time with the chassis this weekend.

Not a great deal was needed to get the radio singing again. A few passives were out of spec so got replaced. I replaced the larger value waxies regardless of how they tested. Some of the insulation on the internal wiring was turning to dust and crumbling away, this I replaced with new using silicon insulated as this was the closest looking to the original I had ready access to.

At one point I thought I had made things worse somehow as it had gone from receiving several stations to being able to find only one, but my this turned out to be easily solved by plugging the aerial back in - D'OH!

I shall clean the contacts on the waveband selector as this needed an occasional 'jiggle' to get it singing loudly, but when reaching for my servisol, all I got was an empty can, so some more is on order. After this I shall consider the chassis finished and move my attentions to the case.

Surprisingly, there is some green glow left in the magic eye. Not a lot, but some. It is only really seen in a dim room, but it is better than none.
Old 9th Jun 2022, 10:52 am   #46
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

One more update,

Armed with a new can of servisol, I carefully cleaned the volume pot, and contacts on the tone and band selectors.

I have been listening to the radio for the last 4 hours with no issues. A bit of 5 Live, then a very interesting program about the death of stars (stars in the night sky, not like famous folk) on Radio4 LW, and a bit of absolute radio. Sadly, Caroline does not reach this far on AM. I could find noting of interest to listen to on SW.

I am now happy it is working well and will put the chassis away somewhere safe until I can make good the cabinet. I am looking forward to hearing it using its intended loudspeaker and in its case, rather than using a diddly little 3" speaker, open on the bench.

Thanks to everyone for the help, suggestions and hints along the way. This set may well be popping up again, in the cabinet restoration section of this forum.
Closed Thread