UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2007, 2:22 pm   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Volume control mod Yachtboy 210

Before doing anything be aware that the tone control can be pulled out to reduce the bass, it switches a 10n-cap (C612) in series with the audio input.

-------
The mod below is not part of, and does not affect the operation of the tone control in any way.

It involves lifting (it doesn't matter which end) or removing four caps around the volume control printed board.

C616 (47n)

C616 (68n)

C618 (3.9n)

C619 (2.2n).

Or if preferred the four associated resistors on the same board R613 R614 R617 R 618 can be lifted (either end it doesn't mater) or removed instead.

I use a good solder sucker to carefully lift the components so not to damage the board, or component.

This then leaves the audio input going only to the top of the volume control and not into the bass/treble boost/cut filter around the volume control.

-----------------
Another mod I carried out was to replace the 39 Ohm half watt series lamp resistor R51 with an 82 Ohm (not critical) to make the lamp a little dimmer

Also for those that might not know, pushing the MW and LW buttons together enables the tape/gram input, there is the little symbol on the top between the two buttons. Now plug in an external bigger speaker in the rear jack socket for even better sound

Geof

Last edited by geofy; 23rd Nov 2007 at 2:31 pm.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 10:58 pm   #2
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: Volume control mod Yachtboy 210

Useful ideas there. I addressed the lamp life expectancy problem in mine by using an amber LED in its place, we had a thread about this ages ago and it's now gone, but this was a simple fix, all done without removing the lamp holder and reversible.

Old 23rd Nov 2007, 11:04 pm   #3
Station X

geofy.

I think it would be a good idea if you stated what the purpose of the modification is. I note that you've stated it in another thread, but it would do no harm to post it here too, as this thread is likely to remain in the archive for all to see.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Nov 2007, 12:05 am   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Volume control mod Yachtboy 210

Hi Graham

When I bought my Yachtboy brand new, the sound didn't seem quite right. It occurred to me that a filter circuit was included to make the speaker seem bigger than it really was by automatically giving bass boost at low volume and then cutting the bass as the volume control was advanced.

I experimented by removing the filter section, and thought it made the radio give a more natural sound, especially when coupled to an external speaker.

I was not aware that there was a previous thread about the scale lamp.

The additional comment about the tone control and tape/gram selector was for general information as these controls aren't always obvious ones to a new owner.

Geof
Old 25th Nov 2007, 5:10 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
I addressed the lamp life expectancy problem in mine by using an amber LED in its place, we had a thread about this ages ago and it's now gone

Is this the thread?

(This - volume control - thread may be split or retitled if it reaches the archives as we have two topics on the YB210 ongoing here).
Old 26th Nov 2007, 11:40 am   #6
Station X

In post 3 I was actually referring to post 11 in this thread. The purpose of the tone modification is described there:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=22319

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 1:55 pm   #7
GJR 11L
Heptode

Darren, yes, that was the thread!

I look forward to seeing the new, improved and merged "YB210 upgrades" thread.