UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2019, 3:40 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default What do you have under your TV?

Just wondering what vintage/retro stuff does everyone have plugged into their Television for everyday use?
I do change mine from time to time but as a rule I have these plugged in all the time.

Sony Video recorder
Pioneer Laserdisc player
Atari 2600 games system.

Also non vintage I have

Toshiba DVD Player
Xbox1 Games system

All plugged into a modern day Polaroid 50inch UHD TV.
What do you have under your tv?
Old 18th Jul 2019, 4:11 pm   #2
Humber888
Heptode

Default Re: What do you have under your TV?

I'm tempted to say that could be vintage fluff under the TV stand! More seriously it would be an LG VHS VCR. Non-vintage kit consists of a Panasonic DVD recorder and two Youview PVRs (one backs up the other for when a full factory reset is needed and all the recordings are lost).
Old 18th Jul 2019, 4:33 pm   #3
Outrun_uk
Heptode

(Deep breath...)
Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PSVR, Wii U, Denon AV amp, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Sony Blu-Ray, Virgin TiVo, Super Nintendo and a spare 4 way extension strip for plugging anything temporary in. TV is a Panasonic 40-odd inch flatscreen. You won’t believe this but I hardly watch TV or play games....!

Kev
Old 18th Jul 2019, 5:13 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

There's an elderly Iomega external hard disk configured as a video recorder that I've forgotten how to operate.

Plus a couple of units that probably qualify as vintage because they've have sat there for years supporting more recent boxes: A Humax terrestrial receiver/hard disk recorder and a Panasonic DVD recorder. Not sure whether the latter two still work!

The kit that we actually use regularly are the usual set-top boxes (why do we still call them that?): Sky, Virgin cable, Apple TV, Blu-Ray DVD player,

The thing is......TV matters tend to be decided by SWMBO and I only tend to be involved when a box has crashed!

Martin
Old 18th Jul 2019, 8:04 pm   #5
hannahs radios
Hexode

Under my main TV is a DVD player and a Sky box which is not yet plumbed in. Next to my TV upstairs is the pre amp power supply, a Sanyo VCR, a digibox, a little FM TX so I can get stereo TV sound on my Hi-Fi oh and the odd mouse, real mice not computer ones!
Old 18th Jul 2019, 9:08 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Just a magazine rack under the TV here (well, slightly in front of it), while on top of it are a Rototherm thermometer and a Proton 300 radio, and on top of the radio a small plant and a squeaky rubber Hullabaloo and Custard, BBC2's launch mascots. The required set top box is a little to the right of all that.

Paul
Old 18th Jul 2019, 10:20 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

The only thing underneath my TV is the sideboard it stands on alongside the HDR, DVD player, Apple TV box and a mini HiFi unit.

Literally there's also a pile of plates, some other crockery and a few odd pictures which live in the sideboard cupboard directly underneath the set.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Jul 2019, 1:06 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Dust?

Multi-region DVD player (Pana)
DVB-T box (Sony)
DVD recorder with hard drive (Pana)

Having lost interest in TV, it hasn't been on for years.

Offering it free on here got no response, so the whole lot (inc Quintrix acuity 32 incher) is destined for the tip. It's just the weight of that telly needs me to get a few people together to lift it.

David
Old 19th Jul 2019, 2:27 am   #9
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Dust and a homemade surge filter under the TV, but connected to it is:

Panasonic NV H950 VCR (with a capstan pinch roller fault that needs fixing)
Pioneer DVR630H DVD/HDD recorder (only used to play DVD's now)
NAD T 750 amp
An el-cheapo Dick Smith DVD player (now about 15 years old, cost around a tenner and still working)
and a modern (ish) satellite receiver.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 5:06 am   #10
arjoll
Dekatron

Under the TV - Xbox One, satellite receiver we hardly ever use, and a Samsung Blu-Ray home theatre system which came free as a Christmas promo from an IT distributor.

Behind the TV - fourth generation Core i5 in a tower case with 4x tuners running Windows 10 and MediaPortal (Windows 7 Media Centre until the start of the year). I've got an i3 NUC that I've been meaning to set up as a client so the tower can go into the network cupboard, but ran into weird codec issues and haven't gotten back to it. Must do that soon to tidy things up....

The Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 and Wii aren't currently connected, but when OLED TVs come down a little more the 2011 Panasonic 42" will probably go into the other living area (there's a 29" CRT in there now) and have the older consoles hooked up.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 5:42 am   #11
John M0GLN
Octode

Under mine is a Sky HD+ box, Marantz NR1501 AV receiver, Philips Blue Ray DVD player and the centre speaker of the Tannoy surround sound.

John
Old 19th Jul 2019, 8:50 am   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

My only "vintage" items are the subject of photographs. Me, leaning out the cab of 60163 Tornado following a driving experience and me again leaning out the cockpit window of Lancaster bomber Just Jane following a Taxy run.
Both special presents from my wife, Janet.
I also have a Sony dvd player and a Panasonic hdd recorder.
Rob
Old 19th Jul 2019, 8:59 am   #13
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Samsung TV box
Box monitoring our viewing (for national statistics)
Kef Q9c centre speaker
Pioneer DVR-433H-S DVD recorder
Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver

The only thing that comes close to retro in our livingroom, is a d.i.y. (kit) clock with russian indicator tubes (sorry, valves) standing on the right side of our TV.

Our attic is the place for my retro stuff.

Greetings,
Robert
Old 19th Jul 2019, 9:29 am   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

Philips blue-ray player and some flame-effect candles
Old 19th Jul 2019, 9:43 am   #15
Studio263
Octode

In my case I try to always have the correct, matching video recorder there. Under the B&O LX5500 (Whiteline) in the sitting room there's a VX5000 VTR in full white (they never a completely white VX5500 so according to the catalogue this is as it would have been), under the B&O LX2808 (Ebony) in the spare room there's a grey VX5000 and under the B&O 7802 in my work room there's a Beocord VHS90. If I need a DVD player I use one of those little round Sony ones and put it away afterwards. Freeview boxes live around the back, where they cannot be seen.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:19 am   #16
Dai Corner
Hexode

Underneath my 32" Philips LCD TV (probably early 21st Century - freebie from a relative who upgraded to a larger one with a thinner bezel) I have

Human Freesat PVR about 10 years old. The recording function is rarely used in these days of BBC iPlayer and YouTube.

Newish Sony DVD player

1990s Pioneer receiver-amplifier-cassette recorder. Radio section unused as I get my radio via the Humax. Cassette section non-functional and I haven't felt the need to fix it.

Dangling from the HDMI socket is a Google Chromecast.

Dangling from the headphone socket of the TV is a Cheetah RTFM-T FM transmitter. It feeds my vintage Roberts RCS80 in the kitchen, Grundig set in the shower room and Sony clock radio in the bedroom.

A remote controlled HDMI switch to select between the Humax, Sony and Chromecast and extract the audio to go to the Pioneer.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:31 am   #17
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Under my "TV" [well, actually it's a 24-inch Acer LCD computer-monitor] I've giot a Philips CD710 CD-player. I haven't used it as a CD-player for years - but it's just the right height to raise the telly/monitor to optimum viewing position!

Hooked to the back of the screen is a Gigabyte "BRIX" computer, which runs Linux and provides all my video-source needs (no off-air viewing here, it's all streamed over the Internet or from a server in the 'office').
Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:35 am   #18
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post

Human Freesat PVR about 10 years old. The recording function is rarely used in these days of BBC iPlayer and YouTube.
At least it raised a smile, the joys of predictive text.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 12:16 pm   #19
Beardyman
Hexode

Nothing really that vintage under ours, not electronic anyway!
Unless you count a Nintendo Wii & a BT Freeview box.
Probably the only things one might call vintage would be the half dozen crystal wine glasses & a small tin containing florins, half crowns & other pre-decimalisation coinage. Don't think the SONY Bravia 32" could be considered old yet, kids keep asking when we are going to get a new one, my answer is when I can't fix that one!
Old 19th Jul 2019, 12:56 pm   #20
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've got under my Samsung 32" LCD Smart TV:

Philips Sound Bar

Tvonics PVR

Philips DVD recorder

Sony Blu Ray plater

Sony VCR (the one that needs recapping)

Sony Playstation 2

Marantz audio tuner (placed so it can be connected to a roof aerial & has to use a long cable to connect to the stereo at the other end of the room)