UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2019, 2:15 pm   #21
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Taylor 65A All Wave Signal Generator

Well, only 20 days later and I may find time to give the 65C another looking at! Also, with regards to a previous comment about the scale plate showing a range not covered, I believe the upper scale on Mc/s is second harmonic of position 5 on the switch (I have a PDF of the 65B instruction manual found somewhere online, if you'd like I'll try and PM a copy or look up where I found it).
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 3:31 pm   #22
Sinewave
Octode

Yes that would be very useful, thank you.
Old 24th Jun 2019, 1:17 pm   #23
ekjdm14
Banned

Actually, I think forum rules would permit my posting of the PDF here so will give that a go. All being well it should be attached below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windsor 65b sig gen.pdf (583.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:50 pm   #24
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
Actually, I think forum rules would permit my posting of the PDF here so will give that a go. All being well it should be attached below.
Thank you for that.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:00 pm   #25
Sinewave
Octode

Well, much fun was had at the McMichael Radio Rally on Sunday.

I spotted these two Taylor signal generators. Purely based on their price I couldn't resist them.

Both are complete inside.

The 68 has had it's mains flex cut off, this lead me to think that perhaps there's a fault inside, or it's been stripped. But as it's complete, I'll need to have a probe around before applying any power.

The 60, will need a new mains lead and plug, though the seller says it works, but it is a bit shabby and is missing its mains indicator lamp, though the bulb holder is there.

Both will make some very nice restoration projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3507.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	186756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3508.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	186757  
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:43 pm   #26
ekjdm14
Banned

Had a moment to play further with my Windsor today & it's now functional on 100-300 and 300-900Kc/s after repairing an open coil fortunately broken near the end.

If it's of any use there's a reasonable, albeit home-drawn (not by myself) circuit diagram and some details like attenuator assembly/switch wiring for the 65c variant on elektrotanya which has helped immensely with my very got-at-and-stripped-for-parts unit. Certainly beats the tiny sketch provided in the user manual!

What's the purpose of the 68 going up to 240Mc/s though?
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:53 pm   #27
Sinewave
Octode

I guess there's some equipment which will use it, which is why there are a handful of generators which kick out these frequencies.

I've just got to try and dig out a diagram for the 60 and 68. The 60 is different inside compared to the 65s.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 1:46 pm   #28
ekjdm14
Banned

Have you a photo of the inside of the 60? I'm interested to know what differs since it's outwardly very similar & the controls are in the same places, although the frequency ranges appear slightly lower/more spread out compared to the 65.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:32 pm   #29
Sinewave
Octode

Yes given similar external appearance, it's a little surprising that the lay out is different inside to the 65.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3514.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	186801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3515.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	186802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3516.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	186803  
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:58 pm   #30
ekjdm14
Banned

Wow, isn't it just! Actually looks a bit easier to work on and less susceptible to accidental coil damage too. Wonder why they changed it, looks like maybe cost-cutting...
Old 18th Jul 2019, 4:00 pm   #31
Sinewave
Octode

Ok I found a manual with schematic for the 68A/M, not sure if there's much difference between the two (68A and 68A/M).

Still can't locate one for the 60.

They're straight forward inside, but I'd rather compare with the manuals as certainly the 60 has had someone poking around it inside in the past.
Old 20th Jul 2019, 10:45 am   #32
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

The modulation transformer can fail due to leaky paper caps. I replaced one with a 110-0-110 transformer, CT to HT, secondary to the audio feedback.
Closed Thread