UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:49 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default LG LV210 VCR issue

Hi,

My LG LV210 VCR isn't working as it should in the sense that it think's that it's always ejecting a tape, when there was no tape in there to begin with to eject.

It also wont accept a tape and wont "finish" it's eject cycle. Although the loading tray is at the door ready for the next tape.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:58 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: LG LV210 VCR issue

The 210 was a mono machine I think it used the same carriage throughout the range. Easy to sort. The cassette in switch is gummed up. There are two switches next to each other, one is record protect, the other cassette detection.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 1:08 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've opened up the VCR but I cannot find the cassette in switch.

(I don't know too much about VCRs)

I've attached a photo below if anyone can point it out on there please if possible.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCRMechanism.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	186790  
Old 16th Jul 2019, 11:34 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

I think all switches are on the main pcb, beneath the deck.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 10:44 am   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Also the mode switch is suspect if it's the rotary type. Open it very carefully using two screwdrivers and polish the contacts with Brasso. Some machines used opto mode detection and if so disregard this advice.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 7:15 pm   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Do you know what, Marten may be right. After many years working for LG must have left me daft, I thought the record protection and cassette switches were clearly visible when the whole deck was removed. A ribbon connected the head drum on the top and an 8 or 10 pin connector to the main board carrying capstan info, end\start sensor, there was two decks fitted, non interchangeble.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:58 pm   #7
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi,

I have opened it up and found it is a rotary switch. I opened it and polished it, but no luck. It did change to say there was no cassette in, so I put a cassette in (that I didn't care about) and it loaded halfway and got stuck. Wouldn't eject, wouldn't load further. I had to get the tape out manually.

I think there may be an issue with the mechanism because I've noticed that it seems very loose. Before it was quite tight and springy. (I noticed it was loose before inserting the tape) and when it was on, the arm the pinch roller sits on kept moving back and forth.

I'm not sure what to do next

Thank you for your help. it's really appreciated
Old 18th Jul 2019, 8:47 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

On this machine you can remove the mechanism as you've found out. Get an old tape and carry out the whole loading process by hand - tedious, but it will soon show you where and how the problem's occurring. Favourites are misaligned carriage gears - especially if someone 'got the tape out' - or the back tension arm in the wrong position, jamming the loading arms.
Closed Thread