UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2019, 10:16 pm   #1
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Ever Ready Model A: Chassis looks clean

Finally got the Ever Ready Model A on the bench.
The 850 Ohm was fried looking and only 590. I replaced with a 390R in series with a 470R. Doesn't get warm with 10mA, which unsurprisingly is 8.5V.
The 8uF on HT takes 9mA @ 30V and not falling. So I replaced it.
Replaced all the waxies, maybe the AGC one or volume control to Grid might not matter. All bad.

Valve filaments all check OK.
Amazingly the Audio transformer is OK.

I took the loop out of the case for easier access, though the short lead on V1 TC is awkward.

Dead!

However only 0.9V on filaments and battery pack (a B137 replica) is reading 1.55V.

I suspect the OFF/MW/LW switch.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 11:02 am   #2
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready Model A: Chassis looks clean

I'm always loth to use fine wet & dry abrasive on switches or relay contacts as it makes the surface rough and often a temporary fix. I'd use it on badly corroded battery contacts.

I'd recently bought some "WD40 Brand" switch & contact cleaner. Tried it late last night and a little life. More this morning and vigorous wiggling of switch after depressing all contacts slightly when off, except common. Gave it a go with tooth brush too.

Alignment procedure on MW & LW OK. I'll do final RF trimmers (MW then LW as MW trimmer is still connected on LW) with the AD3 pack and it all in the case.

BBC R4LW and RTE1LW both very clear. The wonderful interference free experience of battery + large loop and high Q IFT coils.

I should have put the handle back on loose before putting chassis in. I used an awl to line up the celluloid, wood and chassis for the last awkward screw. The celluloid was very dirty. I used soap and Boots surgical spirit alternately to clean it. The Boots surgical spirit is about 1/5th price of IPA here.

Some Rustin's rust remover on the frame aerial wood screws and chassis nuts & screws (Basically Phosphoric acid, alcohol and water).

I put some glue on wood inside where the 2nd handle nut goes, used long star head screwdriver that's a snug fit to lower nut on to glue. Then I'll be able to get last screw in.

Now to find the AD3 pack, or make another. The paint on the case needs touched up in a few places.

I repainted the scale pointer with white nail varnish as I'm nearly sure it's not meant to be a mix to dirty white - yellow - brown.

I took out the speaker to check before putting chassis in. The voice coil has no cover and it was seized. I gave a tap and it freed. Fortunately doesn't sound scratchy.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:50 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I found my B103, which fits in the T, K, H etc I have. It fits OK in the A, though loose. It was dead, the F cells robbed from a €2 996 pack flat. I replaced them and the radio was intermittent. Bad connection on the DAC32 top cap and also the DF33 wasn't fully in socket, the latter my fault.

I then found the AD3, which is still good. It has EIGHT F cells, as per original. Different brand of 996 packs used as they have translucent plastic rather than black top bungs. It has 60 x AA "euroshop" cheap Alkaline cells for HT. So capacity would be similar to original as Alkaline AA similar to a Zinc Carbon B cell in capacity. It's a HEAVY pack! Alkaline cells are a lot heavier than Zinc Carbon, so despite HT portion being part empty it's likely only a little lighter than original.

I readjusted the RF trimmer for MW ( 1.4MHz) and then LW (on RTE1 rather than the suggested 1000m) with battery fitted as it's bound to affect RF frame aerial a lot.

The only visible restoration on the outside is repainting the scale pointer with white nail varnish, sanding off rust on carry handle end pieces and cleaning case.

I forgot to take a photo of the chassis after changing parts. I left all the capacitors with an earth connection, simply snipping the other end. The HT electrolytic and all the paper dielectric caps replaced. Also the 850 Ohms by 390 in series with 470. Volume is adequate on R4LW, a bit louder than my 1939 Lissen All Dry, which has probably the original edge connect valves.
Differences:
Model A back pops off, 8515 has four screws.
External AE loop on main frame and sockets on case, vs loop and sockets on rear panel, The 1939 model has LW loop only at side of case.
Tuning drive cord vs direct on the 1939 models (needle moves "wrong" way on the older version).
No visible screw heads on the 1939 models and Octagonal cut out. The Model A has TEN screw heads in addition to the handle.
The position of the LO coils & LW trimmer is swapped on Model A vs 1939 models.
Audio transformer rotated 90 degrees.
Power cable different location.

Various changes were made to the Forces Comfort All Dry, which started off as the 1939 Ever Ready 5214 (The Lissen 8514, 8516 is just branding and slightly different case). Intermediate models had a mix of Edge B8 and I Octal valves. The last versions (1944 to 1945?) did have cord drive, rectangle cut out, visible bolts and all Octal, possibly identical to Model "A".

The 1939 version rear panel has a row of large holes so ALL trimmers can be adjusted with the cover in place.

The 1939 Ever Ready 5214 series and Lissen 8514 series are Ever Ready's first "All Dry" model, a year after the USA. The valves are the Sylvania design with B8 bases. The 1945 or 1946 is basically the same design. The Model K (1949) was the next significant design for Ever Ready, revisions used in T, Sky Queen, Sky Prince, Sky King and Sky Lord (made till 1961).

Now an Ever Ready L26 would be nice and unusual. Or a J (saucepan, 4 versions).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever-Ready_Model-A_front1_20190715.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	186730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever-Ready_Model-A_open1_20190715.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	186731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever-Ready_Model-A_scale1_20190715.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	186732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever-Ready_Model-A_chassis-under_20190714.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	186733  
Old 15th Jul 2019, 7:48 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

What year was the Model A released?
1945 or 1946?
Presumably it was replaced by the K in 1949, the B, C, D, G, H and J not being similar*? No I or E that I know of.
Radio Museum claims 1946 to 1950 (The ? means +/- one year).

On the Frame aerial, top right, looking from rear:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever-Ready_A_frame_writing_20190715.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	186759

Looks like the sort of blue pencil for corrections.
What do people think that says?
What does it mean?

I presume that the post WWII "Model A" is simply a tone paint effect version of the last revision of the Forces Comfort set. The two tone crackle effect is actually easy to do and hides cheap plywood!

B: Personal, maybe made by Plessey, copy of 1941 RCA. Terrible battery life and performance.
B2: Added LW a year later. Terrible battery life and performance.
C: Octal, Cossor had same in wood. Surplus of cheap perspex after 1945 (War production). Large table model, not portable.
C/A, C/E: B7G version on same chassis as C.
D: Essentially the 1939 Bakelite table model with Model A / Forces / 5214 chassis.
G: The D but with B7G valves. Two versions, differences not known. Very rare.
H: Maybe original idea for Africa? A two valve TRF in metal case. Needs a big aerial, but works.
I: Not used?
J: The SaucePan Special. Two Ever Ready versions, later two BEREC versions. Looks very like early K parts on a round Chassis. The Early two are aluminium cases with rear lids, the later BEREC models are three piece steel. Seam at the base and hidden by hammerite paint at front.
K: First decently portable All Dry (B103 lighter battery). B7G. Same Chassis as used later in Sky Queen (first Ever Ready 25mA Dx96 series portable).
L: L26, sold as BEREC Skyscraper.
T: Table version of K. There are various incompatible valve line ups. All same model. Last version used Dx96 25 mA series.
N: Suitcase. N3 is 25mA version
P: Sky Prince, last version of T in a new box, a year after Sky Queen
Q: Sky Queen, 25mA version of K

No E, I, O or M. After Sky Prince they are all Sky xxxxxx except for car models and N3.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 15th Jul 2019 at 8:05 pm. Reason: Added Key
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:47 pm   #5
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Mistake above, the AM only Sky Monarch is Model M and the AM/FM Sky Monarch is Model V.
The L26 is also Ever Ready Skyscraper L26 = BEREC Skyscraper but the BEREC replaces LW with a SW band.
Mysteriously the rare Ever Ready Spacemaster is the BEREC Skyscraper II
I've no model / Serial number information on the Skyscrapers. There were various Lissen Skyscrapers in late 1920s and early 1930s.

All the other Ever Ready models use two or three letters based on name in front off serial number. The BEREC versions of Ever Ready don't seem to have a scheme.
The two versions of Sky Monarchs are much rarer than any of the other LW/MW table models after 1945. The 1950s BEREC Skyscrapers (Ever Ready L26 & Spacemaster) are so rare I've only seen brochures and one photo of the BEREC Skymaster II. They use deluxe cabinets similar to the Sky Monarchs.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 15th Jul 2019 at 10:54 pm.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 11:00 am   #6
JulietMike
Tetrode

Looking at the photo of blue pencil writing. Might it be a quality check.

"R/J" (the checkers initials) followed by the word "Passed" and the year "1944"

John
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:35 pm   #7
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

The aerial loop might be stock for making the late / last version of the "Forces" Model, otherwise the date makes no sense. Except I don't think the Forces model had LW late in the war.
The Civilian Battery set was released in 1944 (MW only) and there can't have been any "Model A" made before the end of the war. Though early "Model A" sets might have been the last version of the Forces Comfort set simply with a different paint job. Except I doubt that, because I suspect they stopped fitting LW to the Forces model. Nothing on LW from UK till after the war. Some Civilian sets were retrofitted to have LW. The mains and battery "Civilian" sets ought to have been produced late 1942 or early 1943, but it was well into 1944 when production started.
Closed Thread