UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2018, 2:25 pm   #1
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Bush VHF90: control knobs and tuning scale variations

I’ve recently acquired and restored a Bush VHF90, which I think is a very attractive and compact MW/VHF universal mains set.

My example has two dark brown control knobs, which is as shown on the Bush VHF90 service manual’s front cover. However, I have recently seen a VHF90 with two ivory control knobs and different tuning scale colour scheme (maroon and gold).

Does anyone know whether this was an early or late production change? In the Bush VHF90 service manual, there is no mention of two different styles of control knob or tuning scale being fitted.

Perhaps Bush issue one of their little gummed paper service manual amendments stickers (printed in red), to advertise this change?

I can’t decide which version I like the most!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush VHF90 service manual front page top half.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	164407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush_VHF90_ivory_front_with_gold_maroon_tuning_scale 001.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	164408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush VHF90 front view 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	164409  
Old 11th Jun 2018, 9:15 pm   #2
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Bush VHF90: control knobs and tuning scale variations

I can’t answer your question but I have a cream knob version and the serial number can be seen on the picture, not sure if from this you can determine if it’s an early or late production change.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8524B66-416D-44EF-87B9-F8B9CF5D7388.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	164434   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3660FF1-C991-4E69-AA4D-1547DB58B28A.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	164435  

Last edited by stitch1; 11th Jun 2018 at 9:27 pm. Reason: Spelling!
Old 12th Jun 2018, 11:21 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
I can’t answer your question but I have a cream knob version and the serial number can be seen on the picture, not sure if from this you can determine if it’s an early or late production change.

John
Thank you for replying.

My set's serial number is 206/09228, so yours (206/31723) would seem to be a much later production set.

So, the change to ivory control knobs and a gold/maroon tuning scale would appear to be a later production change, unless Bush decided to offer a choice of presentation parts finishes…?
Old 12th Jun 2018, 12:57 pm   #4
stitch1
Heptode

So the search is on to find a cream on cream version with a lower number than yours, anyone

John
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:28 pm   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

Annoyingly I passed on one of these cream ones some years ago and now regret it, (how often have you heard or done that!) They are attractive sets.
They did the Bush VHF90 in brown and black Bakelite cases too, there is a possibility someone might have swapped the chassis over. My Black set has the same dial/knobs as the cream one shown.
Old 14th Jun 2018, 2:17 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

My cream VHF90 is buried in the "to be completed" racks at present but I know it to have cream knobs and the (broken) maroon on gold tuning scale.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 9:40 pm   #7
crusher19860138
Hexode

A very troublesome set, and a nightmare to work on, power resistors mounted underneath the chassis, with the resultant heat cooking just about everything in sight!
Old 16th Jun 2018, 10:11 pm   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher19860138 View Post
......Power resistors mounted underneath the chassis, with the resultant heat cooking just about everything in sight!
True enough, but luckily, some many years ago, my set has had the wirewound 150 Ohm UY85 surge limiter resistor replaced by a long "Radiospares" 100 Ohm w/w resistor, wired directly between the tagstrip and the UY85 valveholder's anode pin. The Paxolin/SRBP material of the tagstrip is therefore only slightly darkened.

So, the incorrect value replacement resistor dissipates a lot less power (but the surge current as the UY85 starts to pass current, will be higher than the original design allowed for).

As suggested elsewhere in this Forum, I relocated the resistor (with one of the correct value) to the rear of the mains adjustment panel "on top". I have checked that the heat from it does not cause a worrying temperature rise material of the moulded cabinet above it.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 1:52 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

If this is a cream cabinet, I would advise you to fit a heat reflector inside under the top above that resistor, a bit of shiny foil should do, as the cabinets discolour and split very quickly.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 1:59 pm   #10
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
If this is a cream cabinet, I would advise you to fit a heat reflector inside under the top above that resistor, a bit of shiny foil should do, as the cabinets discolour and split very quickly.
Thanks for the tip. I don't intend to use this set for everyday listening, but I'll see what I have in "stores" to make up such an item - just in case.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 4:17 pm   #11
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
So true, cream Bakelite is much more prone to fracturing than brown and black when exposed to heat.