UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2021, 8:29 pm   #1
Hampus
Pentode

Default FM radio distortion problem.

My trusty old National-Panasonic alarm clock radio is sounding progressively worse. Of course it has never been a Hi-Fi radio but now there is noticeable distortion.

It sounds like when you turn up the volume too high on a transistor radio or when you hear an FM station slightly out of tune.

Since it has been detoxicating for a while, can it be because of dried-out capacitors? Do transistors go bad in this manner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	232078  
Old 18th Apr 2021, 9:29 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: FM radio distortion problem.

One thing off the beaten track is a dried-up electrolytic that gets forgotten about, the floating one at the end of a ratio detector.

David
Old 19th Apr 2021, 2:38 am   #3
Silicon
Nonode

Make sure the speaker is OK first. It could be rusty or the voice coil may be rubbing.

Can you connect a good speaker to the amplifier output?

Is it distorted on the Medium Waveband?

Last edited by Silicon; 19th Apr 2021 at 2:39 am. Reason: Another question added.
Old 24th Apr 2021, 7:52 pm   #4
Hampus
Pentode

Thank you for your thoughts.

It turned out to be easy to fix, i opened it up and made some measurements and I immediately found a clue in that the DC rail voltage dropped by about 30 percent when the radio was switched on. I replaced the electrolytic smoothing capacitor and all was well again

Regarding medium wave we don't have any such transmitters in Sweden anymore and I could only find one, noisy station on that band.
Closed Thread