UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2021, 5:30 pm   #1
MelvynsRadios
Diode

Question VCM163 Selector pin connections

Hi everyone

I am working on restoring a VCM163 valve tester. Please could you help me? I've connected back the selector pin connections and wanted to check with you all if I have done this correctly. I've attached a couple of pictures.

Thank you all very much for your time.

Best regards

Melvyn, g8zbt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	231839   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	231840  
Old 15th Apr 2021, 7:51 pm   #2
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: VCM163 Selector pin connections

Did you take any photos before you unsoldered the wires that you can compare with?

In my opinion the soldering looks poor. Look at the purple wire where the insulation has crept away, likewise the green wire in the second photo looks strange, somewhat like the wire hasn't been soldered (or perhaps it is sticking out on the other side of the pin).

I would recommend that you unsolder the wires again, clean the pins properly from old solder with for instance a solder wick, then cut the wires and strip the insulation again so that you get new wires without solder so that you can wrap them properly around each pin and then solder them in place again.

It looks like you have the wrong order with the purple, grey and white wires in the first photo, all wires are coded as resistor colours so they start with Brown, Red, Orange - and then on the other side Yellow, Green, Blue - and then back to Purple, Grey and White - then Pink, Black/White and last Green/Orange.
Old 16th Apr 2021, 7:14 am   #3
Jac
Heptode

Perhaps a photo of the connections in my tester helps.

Name:	2004-06-08 aansluitingen rolselector 3.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	231883 Click image for larger version

Name:	2004-06-08 aansluitingen rolselector 4.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	231884

Jac
Old 16th Apr 2021, 10:59 am   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Melvyn, it's always good to welcome folk to the valve testing fraternity. You might be taken aback at the criticism of the soldering, but lets be honest - compared to Jac's - its awful. The excessive heat which has resulted in the melting of the pvc insulation - will also have passed through the pin assembly.
I would respectfully suggest that you urgently acquire a modern temp. controlled soldering station, and practice on soldering & de-soldering techniques with gash bits of wire & old components. The cost of a soldering station( which should last you years) in minimal compared to the £1K plus cost of a decent serviceable 163 these days.(Are you using "Lead Free" solder ?) AVO would've used good old 60/40 f/c lead solder. Replacement switch assemblies, & other 163 parts are like rocking horse manure. Recent massively huge long-winded threads on phooked 163's & similar AVO VCM's - might enlighten you.
This has become my mantra of late regarding working on AVO VCM's - "If in doubt - Shout". In other words, if you're not sure what you are doing - urgently seek professional services from highly recommended folk.

Regards, David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 16th Apr 2021 at 12:52 pm. Reason: Typo fixed
Old 17th Apr 2021, 5:43 pm   #5
MelvynsRadios
Diode

Hello chaps thank you for your replies, very much appreciated

Jac, thanks so much for taking the time to take off the panels of your tester and taking those photos. And yes Martin, unfortunately I forgot to take some detailed photos before I unsoldered the wires!

Thanks all for the information, I have now corrected the wiring mistakes and resoldered using one of my temperature controlled irons and 60/40 solder, picture attached.

Unfortunately my eyesight is not what it once was and I'm almost blinded now thanks to my cataracts. But your comments on my soldering technique gave my wife a laugh!!

Many thanks again, I'm an avid reader of the Forum especially since starting this project and the circuit diagram has taken me a while to get my head around. I will be sure to comment more often, it's jolly good fun!

And David, I've got some nice pieces of rocking horse manure in my loft, a specimen attached!

Melvyn, g8zbt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	163 pic.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	231995   Click image for larger version

Name:	memter pic.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	231996  
Old 18th Apr 2021, 7:56 am   #6
Jac
Heptode

Glad to help.

Good that you have it all sorted out now.

Jac
Closed Thread