UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2021, 12:51 pm   #1
startreksteve
Tetrode

Default Adding external speaker to Yaesu FRG-7

Hi Guys,
any recommendations on this, theres loads of external speakers out there, some very expensive, In not sure what to go for to improve the audio of my Frog.

Steve
Old 16th Feb 2021, 1:14 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Adding external speaker to Yaesu FRG-7

The usual advice is to find a second-hand speaker from a car door. One with a second cone, or with an integrated tweeter in the middle, and then have a play with some home-brew cabinetry. Mess around with some damping material until you like the result.

Basic quality speakers like the internal one in the frog-7 are fairly efficient, as speakers go, so the new one will likely be quieter than the original.

Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom all sell external speakers for their transceivers and charge hundreds of pounds. Inside is a basic speaker in a steel cabinet. The main benefit they give is that it's pointing at you - transceivers usually have speakers pointin up on the top cover. The FRG 7 is already in the right direction. Those expensive speakers don't sound all that good and there is no damping material so they have quite high Q peaks and dips.

David
Old 16th Feb 2021, 8:32 pm   #3
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Hello Steve.

Good advice from David. I would just add that you need a 4 ohm speaker.
Old 17th Feb 2021, 2:55 am   #4
majoconz
Heptode

Whenever I needed a 'small' speaker like that, I often hunt around the op shops. I don't know why there are not complete stereos, just small speakers. Perhaps their previous owners have 'upgraded' to bigger varieties - often this is not a good idea as the bigger and better speakers enable you to hear the hum, rumble, hiss and sibilance better!
Old 19th Feb 2021, 6:33 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

What you need is a small bookshelf speaker, loads on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...dhi=25&_sop=15

These are pretty good all round speakers https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...dkw=modus+cube
Mike
Old 19th Feb 2021, 6:56 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoconz View Post
Whenever I needed a 'small' speaker like that, I often hunt around the op shops.
Is an 'op shop' a charity shop? You certainly can be pick up some quite decent speakers in those places (if they are open), as previously suggested, "orphaned" by owners who went to bigger and better things, but quite suitable for our purposes. I have two small Hitachi bookshelf speakers which I think were either £5 or 10, either way, decent value.

B
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:28 am   #7
majoconz
Heptode

A bit OT but here goes. I bought a JRC NRD515 receiver complete with external speaker (there is no internal) and a 24 channel memory unit. The whole thing was not in the best condition, obviously used in an aviation office and only on one frequency judging by the dust on one side of all the knobs. After a good look and a switch-on via a dim bulb tester it work and came up tuned to 8843kHz AM which was the old south pacific HF aircraft frequencies. Anyway, I digress, The speaker voice coil was open circuit but I had a 4" round speaker with a wizzer cone which fitted nicely but sounded awful with the steel case and no wadding internally. I glued some sound deadening pads to the insides of the cabinet and filled it with BAF wadding after putting the speaker into a double layer of discarded panty hose. (They were discarded, weren't they, dear?) Sounded much better and still going 16 years later.