UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2020, 4:25 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Uses of conductivity meter?

I bought an interesting-looking meter off eBay under the same misapprehension as the seller, who listed it as a "Siemens meter"
It is indeed, but was made by WPA of Linton, Cambridge, model CM35 Conductivity Meter

It covers 10^-6 to 30^-2 Siemens. Not having any known conductors to hand I tried it with some resistors and it is reasonably accurate over this resistance range. My mind turns to jelly trying to convert between units, so I'm wondering who would want a meter to measure over this rather limited range instead of just picking up a multimeter?

It is rather nice that the meter doesn't deflect on O/C, but do you really need a four-terminal measurement to measure down to only 33Ω?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WPA CM35 Conductivity Meter.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	213658   Click image for larger version

Name:	WPA CM35 inside.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	213659  

It's good here
Old 16th Aug 2020, 4:44 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Uses of conductivity meter?

It's for meausring water/solution purity. Used in the process/plant industry. Last time I saw one was in the print industry for measuring purity for litho web offset press fount solution.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:06 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

Do they measure with DC or AC?

I was just about to build one, or at least something rather like it.
I had assumed you had to use AC but if it is a 4-terminal device I guess that would be another way to go.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:25 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Conductivity meters often go with some sort of test cell. Some are for measuring liquids/pastes, others for powders.

Some test cells ate flat surfaces for measuring the conductivity of antistatic surfaces.

Sometimes used in agriculture for measuring the water content of grains to determine how much drying is needed. These versions may have a scale intended for the purpose and the specific test cell.

David
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:33 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Used similar meters in de-ionised water heat exchangers that were used to cool High Voltage equipment.

Older non SI unit name for Siemens (Conductance) was the Mho.
Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:42 pm   #6
ParcGwyn
Hexode

They used to be used for checking moisture levels in wheat. the wheat was ground up and placed in cell that was compressed using a G-clamp. The more moisture the higher the conductivity and the lower the price. Not sure if your instrument falls into this category.

Dave
GW7ONS
Old 16th Aug 2020, 6:27 pm   #7
Julesomega
Nonode

The measurements seem to be made at AC with 25 or 250mV emf. There may also be a polarised output of about 2.5mV emf but I'll not pursue it further as it can go to GMB who can make better use of it

It's good here
Old 16th Aug 2020, 8:41 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

As commented above, you only have 'half' of the device; it needs a cell to immerse in the liquid, and to work with your particular meter it needs to have the correct 'cell constant' which I think is the area of the active electrodes divided by the distance between them.

You'd usually expect the cell to be fed with an AC voltage; with DC, polarisation will occur so the conductivity will appear to fall the longer the test continues.

B