UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2020, 4:34 pm   #1
andrewferguson
Hexode

Default Playing and transferring 8 track tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
High speed transfer is not the way to go if you want the best results. It's a simple enough matter to juggle resistor values in the Fostex varispeed circuit to bring 3 3/4 into range. The EQ needs tweaking, of course, but this can be done externally.
Ted, I'd be really interested to hear more about this. I have a Tascam 38 which is 15ips but I have several tapes that were recorded at 7.5ips and even 3.75ips. I did have a poke around the "pitch control" circuitry a while ago, but couldn't figure out how it worked - it looked to me like the resistance got smaller as the tape speed decreased, and my rough calculations (based upon the changes in resistance for the +/- 12% pitch control) indicated that the resistance needed to halve the speed would be stupidly low ... tens of ohms if I recall correctly.

No doubt I was looking at the wrong section of the electronics, or some other "rookie" mistake.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 6:53 pm   #2
derekheeps
Tetrode

Default Re: 8 Track players - worth owning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewferguson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
High speed transfer is not the way to go if you want the best results. It's a simple enough matter to juggle resistor values in the Fostex varispeed circuit to bring 3 3/4 into range. The EQ needs tweaking, of course, but this can be done externally.
Ted, I'd be really interested to hear more about this. I have a Tascam 38 which is 15ips but I have several tapes that were recorded at 7.5ips and even 3.75ips. I did have a poke around the "pitch control" circuitry a while ago, but couldn't figure out how it worked - it looked to me like the resistance got smaller as the tape speed decreased, and my rough calculations (based upon the changes in resistance for the +/- 12% pitch control) indicated that the resistance needed to halve the speed would be stupidly low ... tens of ohms if I recall correctly.

No doubt I was looking at the wrong section of the electronics, or some other "rookie" mistake.
I suspect that what Ted is getting at is that the frequency response from a tape/head interface is finite - not withstanding changes in equalisation - therefore playing back a tape at a speed at speeds higher than it was recorded at will always have the potential at least to lose higher frequencies .

Entirely the opposite effect to half ( or slower speed ) mastering which places much lower demands on the equipment ,
Old 13th Nov 2020, 7:26 pm   #3
andrewferguson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekheeps View Post
I suspect that what Ted is getting at is that the frequency response from a tape/head interface is finite - not withstanding changes in equalisation - therefore playing back a tape at a speed at speeds higher than it was recorded at will always have the potential at least to lose higher frequencies .

Entirely the opposite effect to half ( or slower speed ) mastering which places much lower demands on the equipment ,
I should have clarified - these aren't commercial tapes, but ones recorded by others on equipment capable of 3.75ips / 7.5ips. My Tascam 38 is only capable of 15ips, but my understanding was that Ted had modified his Fostex to play back at a lower speed, which is exactly what I would want to do.
Old 13th Nov 2020, 7:48 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Split off from this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=172931

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 13th Nov 2020 at 8:20 pm. Reason: Added link
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:00 am   #5
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Playing and transferring 8 track tapes

Remember that the Tascam 38 is a half inch machine whereas 8 track cartridges use quarter inch tape.

One of the reasons that I asked Ted about changing the speed on the Fostex is that I have an E-8 here which is a larger and possibly slightly more sophisticated version of their smaller 8 tracks. I have often wondered about using it at 3.75ips as it appears to be possible to make it run at that speed just by changing a couple of jumpers on the capstan motor controller and setting a control line high or low (I can't remember which off the top of my head). The control line was used by the speed switch on the E-2/E-22 two track mastering machines which appear to be use an identical tape transport but with a more sophisticated audio section.

I've had the E-8 running at 30ips, 15ips and 7.5ips by setting the jumpers on the capstan controller but not yet tried changing the control line.
Closed Thread