UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2020, 11:33 am   #41
GSBX1220
Pentode

Default Re: PCB Artwork transfer

Hi Folks

Another one late to the party. I have started making my PCB's again. I was always a bit old school in the past and used the PCB transfers available from Marlin back in the day.

I still have some, but I'm running low. Very low! I now need to up my game and start designing layouts on PC or my raspberry Pi

Question is, what software is commonly used that has a library of IC pinouts, solder pads, tracks etc?

I plan to use the press n peel method.

Cheers

Richard.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 12:11 pm   #42
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Richard. I use DIPTRACE... my version is 2.4 There are later versions, but it is not free. I think mine cost about £250 .... but I built a comprehensive library for my personal needs....... There are lots of other PCB / Schematic packages available, but I use this.
Other members will have a "million" suggestions

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 4th Aug 2020, 3:09 pm   #43
Scimitar
Heptode

I was frustrated with all of them until I tried EasyEDA. They will also make your boards at stupid prices like $2 for ten plus postage! I think they make their money from the Fedex shipping but you can opt for airmail which they sit on for ten days so that you might choose the fast Fedex service instead!
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:33 am   #44
Wendymott
Octode

I will not tie myself to a board supplier based software... I use PCBWAY in China for my "Finished" modules.... I home etch all my prototypes..using either Photo processes or Iron on Toner. But in this game.... everyone has his / her preferred way. No one is right.. no one is wrong.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:58 am   #45
Slothie
Octode

Personally I use KiCAD because of its great price and because I went to the effort of its steep learning curve! I did use Eagle but got frustrated with its 100mmx80mm max on the free version and the fact that to get larger boards required buying the £1000 version. A lot of the other competitors have moved tp a subscription model that for my level of usage isn't really an option.
I tried Diptrace, and it did seem OK to me and the price isn't terrible. I like the idea of having a program that I own and could theoretically fire up in twenty years time to access my schematics and
board layouts even if I have to run a VM in my 2000 core optical hyperprocessor, so a product that could go away at the whim of the company that makes it either because the online service goes or the licence server discontinues isnt appealing.
For these reasons I never realy looked at EasyEDA despite all the glowing comments I see; however I noticed a few weeks ago they offer a downloadable version that should theoretically work offline, so if I was looking again I'd consider it especially considering its links to suppliers etc. However the new KiCAD 5 is looking good for me at the moment, even though it seems if I need to rework some of my older designs the changes to the libraries are going to cause a little work.But all my old designs still produce gerbers from the cached symbols and footprints, so its only a mild inconvenience.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:16 pm   #46
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
I will not tie myself to a board supplier based software
It isn't tied. The software will produce Gerber files or even images for home etching. The production is an option that I felt was worth it.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:22 pm   #47
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
For these reasons I never realy looked at EasyEDA despite all the glowing comments I see; however I noticed a few weeks ago they offer a downloadable version that should theoretically work offline
That's how I use it. You can keep your files locally, online or both. I keep mine online currently because it means that I can take up a few spare minutes at work with some tweaking. The routing program is nothing short of amazing.

The other option it has is "team working". Haven't got that sussed yet, but it would appear that a friend can be nominated to access your work and view it or modify it if relevant permissions are set.

Having tried KiCad, Eagle and the RS free version, EasyEDA was useable without lots of complication and logical enough not to need to keep referring to manuals.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 12:50 pm   #48
GSBX1220
Pentode

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies.

As I'm only maybe doing at most maybe one board a month, I was looking for something what would be freeware or such. I know that type of software would have limitations, but for light hobby use I would work round that.

If the rub on transfers were still available, I would most likely continue that way as like I said my boards are low volume and simple.

Cheers

Richard