UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 1st Aug 2020, 11:52 am   #1
woodchips
Heptode

Default Lots of test equipment

This is the final clear out of test equipment I decided I will no longer need.

I have kept a scope or five, function generators, DVMs, analogue meters etc.

I won't list it here, if interested then PM me with an email address so I can email it to you.

There are, so far, 95 items, will need a large estate car or trailer or van. Only the 8568A is really heavy, rest is 5-8kg or so.

Assume all of it is either limping or dead, I can't go through so many items in less than a short lifetime.

I want 1200 for the lot, just to put you off.

Needs to be gone by 8th August, just to put you off even more!

Please delete if, yet again, I have overstepped the forum rules.
woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2020, 12:51 pm   #2
AC/HL

Default Re: Lots of test equipment

Unpriced items are outwith the rules, as we all know. Nothing in them about unitemised prices though!
Old 1st Aug 2020, 3:59 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Lots of test equipment

Any chance of pictures of what is on offer. Even general views of many items would work. I personally think that splitting it in half or quarters would significantly improve your chances of a sale. Can’t think I need another 95 items of test equipment in one go This would help anyone here who is interested identify much of the equipment you have for sale.

Christopher Capener
Old 1st Aug 2020, 4:12 pm   #4
greenstar
Octode

Woodchips, I think your chances of shifting this lot at this price without a description or photos (even with them) are very low. Suggest a day to have a socially distanced garage sale. Say, pay 50 and take as much as you can carry, or just have a price list. Honestly, saying 'I've got a lot of stuff, take it all or none', is not a way to sell it. And assume none of it is operational? Not to mention you are only allowing a week. I respect that you have posted here, but really, everything about this does not work!
greenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2020, 4:21 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
... really, everything about this does not work!
It'll work perfectly well if someone with 1200 in his pocket sends the requested e-mail to the OP, reads through the list and realises there's 3k's worth of kit there . We might want the OP to split the stuff up and let us come along to kick all the tyres, but I think the tradition on 'for sale' threads is that it's the seller's call.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 1st Aug 2020, 5:14 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It's completely a matter for the OP. I agree this purchase would be a big ask for a typical forum member, but the OP is perfectly entitled to offer the stuff in this way if he stays within forum rules.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2020, 8:01 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

A working 8568 would be worth a hefty proportion of that asking price. Especially if the tube's a good 'un.

Looking at the condition of the scope probes which turned up here, I don't think Woodchips messes about with rubbish.

It might well be worth someonr in the area taking a look.... and no buyer's premium/VAT to add!

David
Old 1st Aug 2020, 8:46 pm   #8
robinshack
Octode

David, agreed. I am maybe only 45 minutes away. It sounds interesting, as knowing woodchips, all the junk has been disposed of already. But I have enough of my own gear already and could not abide with offering any of this additional gear with the usual "would need it posting/sending" replies. Besides, that would make me a "trader"!
I just hope someone does a deal, as I imagine some nice gear could be among it.
Rob
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 11:29 am   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Once again, in just a few months, the massive disposal of a lifetime's accumulation of gear has raised its sad head. And, once again, I'm encouraging folk (of advancing years, to put it kindly) to seriously examine their shelves, sheds & lofts - - now. Thus giving yourselves time to advertise on this Forum, sell on the internet, or get your arris down to the nearest BVWS Swapmeet.
If some family or housing emergency suddenly arises - seek help from nearby VRR&R folk, or BVWS folk or VMARS folk, or ARS folk.
An 8 day deadline is impossible to adhere to, I would respectfully suggest. As is coughing up 1200 for (possibly U/S) sight-unseen stuff.
To explain that I'm not talking through my arris - a few years back(I've mentioned this before), when I had a WEEE Exemption Cert, I was given the ultimatum - take all this stuff or IT GOES IN A SKIP! - over several weeks. It took 5 trips in a heavily laden old Freelander. Not rubbish or U/S stuff either - heaps of decent college scopes, AVO's, Sig Gens, etc, all holding current PAT Certs &/or had yearly maintenance carried out by college technicians. Garage, workshop, coridoor, livingroom - full to the brim. My wife was livid. Took well over a year to dispose of ! I kept some, gave heaps to Forum/BVWS/VMARS chums, sold some at ARS junks sales for their funds. A mammoth task. A very small amount was xmas tree'd to repair one or two items. My point is - it was all more or less absorbed into the vintage &/or amateur radio fraternity, as opposed to effing landfill. But it took ages - not 8 effing days !
To Woodchips, or anyone else with urgent disposal problems - in advance - ask around, seek help. Going by BVWS & VMARS Membership Lists, & localities shown on Thread posts, there must be several dozen members of the vintage radio fraternity living within short driving distance of youse guys down in many of the English Counties.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 4:52 pm   #10
woodchips
Heptode

The 8 days is to put a deadline on it. All you need to do is contact man with van and come, unless you have a 9'x5'6" trailer. It is, quite simply, a gamble. Is this pile of junk a better deal than the same money spent in an auction.

As David says, it takes ages to sell, or even give away, this stuff. And the packing and posting are enough to give anyone a heart attack. I have just gone through the probes, and wonder why I did. That is why I am being brutal, no negotiation, you come, you take, what is left goes to the scrappy.
woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 10:58 am   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough, Woodchips, these days I would find P & P, local ARS junk sales, etc., and even trying the FCS, a helluva hassle. Bollox to that, says I. So I sympathise with your dilemma. Pricewise, in these troubled times, with many vintage radio enthusiasts approaching or past 3 score years & ten, therefore just living on pension income, twelve hundred quid is a lot of dosh. Referring to the great heap of stuff I mentioned yesterday, mostly jolly decent & working - had I been a mercenary auction or internet wheeler/dealer - I reckon I could've creamed in 2 or 3 grand.
Trouble is, like folk who uncover a box full of valves & rub their hands in glee,(this happens a lot), expecting a killing - - there is loads of T/Eq. & stuff floating around out there, some of it working & some in need of TLC, some of it just phooked. Particularly now with BVWS & similar sales & auctions having been on hold, and many folk losing their jobs.
I do hope that someone takes up WC's offer, particularly if they can re-purpose a lot of stuff into homebrew projects.

Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 11:36 am   #12
G0HZU_JMR
Nonode

To put things into perspective, if you were to compare the quantity of fairly modern test equipment that gets written off every year and sent for disposal by various UK companies then a vanload of old and tired test gear is just lost in the noise. It used to bother me at work to see stuff sent for disposal but I don't care much now. I have an old pile of 'saved' test gear here which really should have gone to landfill years ago.

Where I work we have moved over to a rental model for probably two thirds of our test equipment requirements. An awful lot of test gear was thrown away because it makes more sense to rent test gear as and when it is needed. Only the test gear that had a recent cal certificate was saleable. The rest of it just wasn't worth the hassle to sell off so I can sympathise with woodchips here.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 11:27 pm   #13
Chris55000
Octode

Hi!

I have tried getting rid of stuff like this by selling it and the first enquiry you get is some wassock from Brazil or Outer Mongolia or Nigeria expecting to buy it for literally peanuts and get it posted at the seller's expense, and inevitably there's complaints about it afterwards –I've been there before!

I've given away a few pieces of gear to younger Members on here in the past few weeks and glad to do so, I still have one oscilloscope to sort out for delivery when I can find safe packing for it!

Unfortunately we're not all guaranteed to live till our late '80s like my Dad and my friend's dad have done, and there's always the other bogey that can stop our hobby in it's tracks without warning, and that is eyesight failure, and someone can frequently have to cope a long time in semi–blindness due to "post cataract opacification", or macular degeneration, the first of which has happened to me with no known date for the laser treatment needed for it!

I certainly can't get any more in at home, my friend Steve who I live with is going stark raving bonkers about the size of the collection I have now, and I bought one big RF Gen from W.C. and a car–ful of scopes plus a CT71 from Les in the I.O.M only this Feb gone as my birthday treat!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 8th Aug 2020 at 11:45 pm.
Chris55000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 pm   #14
Skywave
Dekatron

Thumbs down Re: Lots of test equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
I still have one oscilloscope to sort out for delivery when I can find safe packing for it!
Using professional couriers to move 'scopes around the country is often a recipe for problems. One substantial jolt and the deflection plates can get knocked out of alignment. David (Radio Wrangler) has often commented on this - probably from experience.
I once shipped a good Tektronix 475 that was very well packed via a well -known courier. When it arrived, the CRT was smashed. The new 'owner' sent me photographs. On one side of the box there was a clear hole, the size of the toe end of a large boot, plus other damage to the box Compensation from the courier? No chance! Reason given: item contained glass.

Al.