UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 30th Jul 2020, 5:38 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Question on PPI or Radar displays

I don't know if it's of any help, but I have just remembered that the manual for the TDMS5 (a telegraph distortion tester) is on Sam Hallas's web site. This instrument displays a circular trace on an electrostatically deflected CRT. While the circuit diagram is not too clear (nor is the original that I have and scanned..) you can probably make it out. The circuit description is pretty good I think. From what I remember the timebase uses 3 double triode valves
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2020, 5:46 pm   #22
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Interestingly the Germans in WWII used a circular scan for their Wertzberg radar as a bent "A scope" type, three times as long on the same sized tube. So near to a PPI.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 7:36 pm   #23
AdrianH
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I don't know if it's of any help, but I have just remembered that the manual for the TDMS5 (a telegraph distortion tester) is on Sam Hallas's web site. This instrument displays a circular trace on an electrostatically deflected CRT. While the circuit diagram is not too clear (nor is the original that I have and scanned..) you can probably make it out. The circuit description is pretty good I think. From what I remember the timebase uses 3 double triode valves
I have downloaded and will have a read, for now I will try to keep myself to something more simple such as a linear type 'A-scope', rotating a uWave dish or audio system I ound find difficult.

I need to play with phase shift osc to see if I can get 90 degrees, but there is more to do before I get to that stage.

It is good thinking about it though.

Adrian