UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2021, 12:54 pm   #1
Keith956
Heptode

Default Changing an old light

I have an old dresser with glass fronted cupboards that has lights inside, two of which blew years ago. They are about 6" long filament tubes about an inch in diameter, but I can't see how the holder comes open to remove the bulb. As they are in a confined space I can't easily get to them or even see them but was able to take a picture with the phone.

I am guessing that one of the end covers comes off, you can clearly see the join in the plastic, but it's not clear if it pulls off (I have tried, with the aid of a wide screwdriver blade, but it doesn't move with the limited force I am willing to try) or slides off - again it doesn't seem to want to budge.

If anyone recognises this type of fitting and has any clues as to how to remove the end cap/bulb I'd be very appreciative!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	248098  
Old 19th Dec 2021, 12:59 pm   #2

Default Re: Changing an old light

I think the whole top bit pulls away, making a safeish bit left behind.

Old 19th Dec 2021, 1:26 pm   #3
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Are the lamps just not held in by springs, if you pull the bulb to one side it should release.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 1:57 pm   #4
Keith956
Heptode

Got it, thanks. The end cap with the two lugs actually turns 90 degrees which then allows one end of the bulb to be pulled out, then the bulb can be slid out.

There was an arrow indicating rotation on the plastic but being in such an awkward place I couldn’t see it!
Closed Thread