UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2018, 11:01 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Pye 1533 Intermittent Receiving Fault

This post is long overdue as the repair was finished in January.

This smart looking Pye 1533 was bought at a local market from an armed forces charity. I don't often find stuff like this there so I quickly snapped it up!

It was in good condition externally so I only gave it a scrub with a damp cloth and polished the metalwork with Brasso. The radio was given a thorough cleaning inside.

When power was applied the radio bust into life and was drawing 7.5mA. There was life at each end of the band but not in the middle. I noticed that the tuning drum was chafing against the chassis so I replaced the rotten rubber mounting grommets. Now I could tune across the band without issue.

When tuning the radio I realised that it would cut out intermittently and was very sensitive to knocks. I injected an audio signal into the volume potentiometer and knocked the radio about. The tone remained solid. Next I injected the IF frequency into the car aerial socket. When prodding the PCB I discovered that when T3 (first IF transformer) was touched the signal would stay.

Looking at the underside of T3 revealed some broken solder joints. Due to the design of the chassis there was no easy way of resoldering the broken joints of T3. Three screws and eleven wires were desoldered before the PCB could be removed. I removed the old solder from the underside of T3 and added new solder. The radio worked as it should once everything was back together.

The volume potentiometer worked poorly after a good clean so it was replaced by a British made equivalent from ESR.

I am very happy with this set and it is a good performer.

When I removed the back off the radio a note was hidden inside. It reads thus:

''£5 29-3-99
Geoff Hamm
Pye Portable
Crackles -
No Sigs''

The note may have been from a repair shop. It's nice to think that I fixed something that somebody gave up on.

I would have been two years old when the note was written!

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	159075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	159076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	159077  
Old 12th Mar 2018, 5:51 pm   #2
rojosuiza
Tetrode

Default Re: Pye 1533 Intermittent Receiving Fault

Now you can put in your own note. When and how you repaired it!

Congratulations, it's a beauty... and intermittend faults are difficult to find, too.
Closed Thread