UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2016, 10:08 pm   #1
Morph76
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kenwood Chef A701A question

Hi.
I Have an A701A that was working fine, but was in a bad state so I began stripping it down, and broke one of the wires that goes via a plate (pictured) to the neutral cable on the plug. To repair it I needed to remove some heat shrink, and uncovered a resistor type thing. I need to know if I can re-solder and heat shrink this part. I have attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	118620  
Old 18th Jan 2016, 10:41 pm   #2
John_BS
Octode

Default Re: Kenwood Chef A701A question

If it was originally sleeved, that should be fine. It's an inductor so it won't get (noticably) hot.

John
Old 18th Jan 2016, 10:54 pm   #3
Morph76
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John.
I have been researching this for some time and in the past 10 minutes managed to find this which I believe will replace it directly
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/leaded-inductors/2131881/
Old 18th Jan 2016, 11:29 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it has similar wire gauge, diameter and number of turns it should be fine. It's a noise suppressor and unlikely to be critical.

Check the old one to see if its core is magnetic or just a ceramic tube/high value resistor, the Epcos part is ferrite cored.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Jan 2016, 7:41 pm   #5
Morph76
Retired Dormant Member

Heat shrunk and soldered the original back together in the end. It seems a little laboured when turning it on but as you go up through the speed settings it pulls and runs perfectly.
Thanks all for your help.
Old 20th Jan 2016, 8:39 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

They usually sound a bit rough at low speed because of the electro-mechanical governor.
Make sure that the rubber feet are still intact - they are essential for proper ventilation.
Old 20th Jan 2016, 10:06 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

do you know how to set the bottom speed?
Old 20th Jan 2016, 10:51 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It should be set for a beater speed of 60 rpm, using the screws accessed through holes in the lower motor cover (N.B. - screws are live!). Turn both screws equally, clockwise = slower.
If it's *really* rough, with significant arcing, the 0.1uF capacitor needs replacing.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 5:16 pm   #9
PaulR
Dekatron

You can get repair kits for them which replace all the critical suppressor parts. They are a bit fiddly to fit but I did one which was very successful.

You could probably also do with replacing the various oil seals (another kit). The gear casing is literally filled with grease which gets everywhere once the seals start to leak. On mine the grease was beginning to find its way onto the motor housing, but fortunately had not quite reached the motor itself.

Paul
Closed Thread