UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2018, 9:12 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Goodmans Module Ninety

Hi Folks

I came across one of these units by shear luck as there was a house clearance taking place and the said item was going to be thrown in the skip. I just wonder if someone has restored one of these before and where did they obtain the service manual. I have removed the casing only to observe the two main smoothing caps have had it as they are at the point of bursting, this is obviously before I apply power to it. I would also like to know as it has a 4 speaker output and I only have two speakers to plug in to it can the other two be switched out or dummy loaded.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 14th Mar 2018, 12:53 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Goodmans Module Ninety

Info here - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=132873 - I had a module 80 briefly but I didn't like it much. IIRC on the 80 the extra speaker outputs were for 'rear' speakers, rather like Dynatron's fanciful 'quadrosound' system - no inductive load required for the secondary speakers.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 7:42 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Ken
This may be a better link for the service information https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...4&postcount=20
Or HiFi Engine, but you need to join (its free) https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...odule-90.shtml
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 14th Mar 2018 at 7:49 am.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 8:31 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think the extra LS speaker sockets are just for an optional, extra pair of speakers in another room. So, for example, you could listen to music in your living room, in the kitchen, or both. Just leave the unused sockets unterminated.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 3:22 pm   #5
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thank you everyone for your input, will let you know the progress on this Tuner amp.

Ken
Old 16th Mar 2018, 8:14 pm   #6
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Folks

I have the amplifier working in this tuner/amp but for some odd reason there is no response from the tuner side either on FM or Med wave, I am a bit suspicious of some modification that seems to have been done (see picture) you will note that the leg of the collector is strung on a red wire link which I think is bypassing something.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6141.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	159361  
Old 16th Mar 2018, 10:58 pm   #7
andrewn
Pentode

My Dad had one of these for many years. I remember having to replace a small bridge rectifier that had gone short circuit. I think it caused a fuse to blow but the unit wasn't completely dead. I think it was near the tuner circuitry and was an odd looking device.
It's fine to use the module 90 with only one pair of speakers.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 9:48 am   #8
vidjoman
Dekatron

Although it's about 40 years since I last saw one of these I do have a vague memory of that red wire link shown in your picture as being original. You will have to check it against the circuit diagram, but that may be wrong/and or, the PCB is wrong.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 1:13 pm   #9
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thanks everyone for their input, I will endeavour to progress with it, and Andrew, you could be right about that bridge, as the voltages around seem a bit odd, might even end up checking to see if the LO is running.

Ken
Old 17th Mar 2018, 5:10 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'd say that that red wire is original. BTW I had a Module 90 that I got from the staff sales shop when I worked at Thorn Automation in the 70s. It was a lovely unit and was well reviewed by Hifi Choice, that's the pukka hifi equipment test book, not the later magazine. Mine was white and came with matching white Lenco deck and Goodmans Minister speakers.